PDA

View Full Version : ? About a byf 43

Z4MIL
03-01-2012, 08:14
I am thinking about buying a byf 43 k98 from a guy that has matching numbers on all bolt barrel receiver and trigger guard parts. It is in a laminated stock but has flat butt plate and milled upper bands. I didn't see any numbers on the bands but will look again. Should the bands have two or four of the serial digits on them and should this gun be a cupped or flat butt plate? I understand that if it were a Russian rework it could have anything on it but this gun has no import stamps and looks to be a bring back.....

BD

Richard H Brown Jr
03-01-2012, 08:56
Matching numbers doesn't mean squat, if the punch numbers are in different styles.

http://www.mausershooters.org/k98/SC_tips.html#mtips "German armorers had chests of un-numbered parts, and dies to mark parts they used for repairs with the rifle's numbers. Full rebuilds were marked by the Germans with matching numbers, and new firing proofs."

Johnny P
03-02-2012, 09:09
I would expect to see a cupped butt plate on a byf 43. The lower band would be milled, and the serial number would be on either side of the sling loop.

dave
03-03-2012, 07:08
Some later manufactured rifles have some serial numbers elimanated for faster manufacture. You can never say for sure how an individual rifle will be. These changes did not take place on Jan 1st. but rather announcement of change could be anytime during year (this includes ANY change) and then parts on hand were used up or other delays happened. It is quit easy to tell if the font of the serail numbers are the same, so matching number do mean something! Parts were not re-numbered by field armorers, they had to get rifles back to the line as fast as possible. Cup butt plates were announced on Jan 9, 1940, dated Dec 29, 39. If the stock matches and is not cut for a cup butt plate it is original to that rifle. You may have to look in barrel channel to see stock serial. The one on butt may not be at all clear, and look under butt plate---there may be a code stamped there which will tell when stock was made.

Embalmer
03-03-2012, 12:52
My byf 43 has a cupped butt plate, milled middle band and quick milled upperband

Johnny P
03-03-2012, 02:16
My byf 44 has the milled lower band, with serial number. Upper band is stamped, with serial number.

dave
03-03-2012, 07:05
As I said, on late war rifles, definate statments cannot be made about individual ones. Late war= post 1942 I would say. My byf 44 has both bands stamped, no serial numbers on them. No serials on stamped TG or floor plate. Serial number of rifle is 46947 t so it is a late year manufacture. My 1942 42 (Obendorf Mauser) has all milled parts, serials on everything except TG/reciever bolts and bayo lug. It has a solid/milled upper band (quick milled?), so as early as 1942 changes were being made. There are known examples of 42-43 rifles with walnut stocks and they are original!
This is one reason that the book BBotWcan be misleading, the examples used were all from one collection. So don't ever say never, the Germans were very clever in missleading to-days collectors! hehehe!
PS: I have a 100% matched K98k that has the Mauser banner trade mark on the reciever, no date. Laminate stock was made in 1941 and barrel also made in 41. I know of one other here in MI! Both have a hh after serial.
Go figure--

dave
03-04-2012, 07:13
I'm glad to see a REAL authority has chimed in! Wow!! It would not only be the wrong butt plate but also the wrong stock! The only way to know would be to check serial numbers, as I said above!