PDA

View Full Version : Seeking suggestions for target backing

Allen Humphrey
02-24-2012, 04:22
I am hoping that some of you might have some suggestions to my delima. Our club 600yd target boards are 6'x6' wood framed jobs. We have been covering them with a corrugated plastic material that is light and tough (most political advertising signs are made of the stuff). However, there are 2 issues.... It has become unavailable in the size we need, and it distorts terribly as temperatures change. In very short order the target is wrinkled like a cheap suit.

I'm considering a double layer cardboard (9/32" thick). I know it wouldn't be as tough, but it might stay flatter, longer and be easier to repair the center.

Any thoughts on other materials that have worked? Thanks in advance!

Jim in Salt Lake
02-24-2012, 04:43
You can go old school and use canvas, we still do. Use wallpaper paste to glue the targets to the canvas.

Maury Krupp
02-24-2012, 08:53
It can depend on your climate and storage options.

Triple wall 600lb test cardboard (or heavier) works well here in the desert:

-Light, no framing required
-Patches easily with a piece of canvas or construction paper glued over the shot-out center
-Stores compactly; flat is best
-Rigid enough so it's easy to paste full-face targets, esp those 4-piece MRs
-Cheap enough to use, patch a couple times, then throw away without feeling bad

After pasting on targets or centers, it tends to bow as it dries. However, regardless of whether it's placed face up or face down to dry, it always bows toward the sun.

When it gets too bowed in one direction, the next time you paste simply turn it over and it will gradually bow back to (reasonably) flat.

Its major drawback is if it gets caught in the rain. Leave it out and it turns into mush :(

Canvas on wood frames is more weather resistant but it's also heavier, costs more (in time, money and energy) to build and maintain, and needs more storage room.

Maury

Allen Humphrey
02-25-2012, 09:33
Jim and Maury,
Thank you for taking the time to reply and share what you have used. In general things are pretty dry here from June to Sept, but rain is always an option in spring and fall. I have a quote for double wall corrugated cardboard for 12.50 each. We would fasten it to a wood frame perimeter for strength. Maury, if I recall correctly from Ben Avery the triple wall stuff isn't perminantly framed, but rather is set into the frame for use??

I've heard of the canvas approach but I have not seen it in person. (I'm pretty new to the sport and haven't traveled to many other places). I'll ask some of the old hands about that.

Maury Krupp
02-25-2012, 02:56
One of the advantages of triple-wall heavyweight cardboard is it doesn't need a frame.

There are no additional materials or labor required beyond pasting on a target.

It's very lightweight compared to framed targets. One person can easily carry his own target or two people can handle multiples.

You tie it directly to the carrier uprights. It's best if you run a 2x2 across the bottom of the carrier so the sheet sits on its entire edge rather than just the corners.

No frames also means no staples or screws for the errant round to hit plus no slivers or splinters while handling :headbang:

Your quote of $12.50 per sheet sounds about right for a small order if it's 600lb test or better. We bought 64 sheets in Jul 2010 for $9.50ea.

Cardboard can take a little rain without falling apart. Just don't leave them out in a downpour.

Maury

rickgman
02-25-2012, 06:20
In the Great Lakes area, particle board is commonly used for target backboards. It is a little pricey but it does hold up to wet weather.

McLovin
03-04-2012, 02:55
We got a hold of some "UPS" conveyer belt, it works like a champ until some idiot decides to make a hole with birdshot.

Hip's Ax
03-07-2012, 08:28
I shoot on ranges that use canvas, cardboard and the plastic material you speak of. My personal favorite for many reasons is the cardboard.

jjrothWA
03-09-2012, 07:46
.22 shooting and got a supply of last of the canvas used for target backing.

In this case, I additionally painted the canvas with white latex paint, when the ONG indoor range was closed for renovation and ultimately for public use.
The frames went to the outdoor range and used for anything, even birdshot, the canvas was still good after eight years.

PhillipM
03-09-2012, 08:50
The corrugated plastic you used is available in several thicker sizes than the common 1/8". In my sign business I have used 4'x8' 1/2" corrugated plastic for campaign signs that have held up very well, but I think they were around $80 a sheet.

Here's some in 3/8"

http://corrugatedplastics.net/10mmCorrugatedPlasticSheets.html

Snafu
06-18-2012, 11:06
I am having good luck with light canvas and 3M spray upholstery adhesive
I was able to find canvas that is very close to target buff color
Dries out fast from rain