PDA

View Full Version : In need of tech. advice

Dave in NGA
02-19-2012, 04:24
I have a Brazilian 98 Mauser with a 7.62 (308) barrel. The barrel has been damaged by using a treading die to remove a stuck case. The chamber now has a series of thread marks up one side making it worthless as-is.

Question 1: Can a typical military Mauser barrel be set-back like a 1903 Springfield barrel, to clean up a damaged chamber? There is a 'short' shoulder with questionable depth (?) to set back one turn of the treads.

Question 2: If the damaged barrel can't be salvaged, is there a source where a military contour barrel with military sights can be purchased to keep this rifle in 308 caliber?

I sure would appreciate hearing from someone who has encountered this problem and knows of a cure! TIA

Emri
02-19-2012, 08:41
The barrel can be set back one turn and re-chambered. Whether that will remove all of the the damaged area would depend on the depth of the damage.

HTH,

Emri

musketshooter
02-20-2012, 07:56
You could also buy a new 98K length barrel from Brownell's. Setting it back would probably be the cheapest and best.

Dave in NGA
02-20-2012, 08:37
Since I want to preserve the 'military' appearance of the rifle, I think I'll try the set-back option first. I've not been able to locate a military step-barrel which would allow me to use the original sights. Seems Brownell's no longer carries this option.