PDA

View Full Version : Help on of Japanese bayonets

wayne
02-13-2012, 10:20
Need help to identify these two bayonets if possible. I also have a metal scabbard, but cannot
remember which blade it goes with. Sorry, don't know how to do pictures.
The first bayonet has the three interlocking circles with points between the circles (Osaka??), hooked guard.
Flat birdshead pommel with wood grips and recessed rivets. The wood grips are squared at each end (next to guard and next to pommel).
End of pommel is marked with number 3949291 with a small mark below the number.

The blade is bright and very sharp, even though it shows no evidence of being sharpened. Blade is beginning to turn brown. The grips have no cracks or gouges.

2nd bayonet has narrow blade w/shallow groove and is entirely devoid of any markings. The blade was evidently made without an edge. Contoured birdshead pommel and the wood next to the pommel is cut at an angle. Hooked guard.

BOB LOUGHLIN
02-15-2012, 01:24
I think you are right about the first bayonet being Osaka, but it should have screws and not rivets. The 2nd bayonet is most likely a Trainer Bayonet. The trainer bayonets were not sharpened and had no or little markings. Bob.

Guamsst
02-17-2012, 07:06
Pics would be better ofcourse, First bayonet I'm not sure what you mean by "points" between the circles. The stacked cannonballs are the Tokyo arsenal pre 1935 and Kokura post 1935. Your bayonet should be about 1940 or so I would think and was probably refit with new handles later in the war hence rivets not screws.

The second bayonet is a standard training bayonet. There are almost no variations or markings encountered on the trainers.

Here is a link to a simple guide to the arsenal marks.

http://www.worldbayonets.com/Misc__Pages/Japanese_Bayonet_Markings/Japanese_Bayonet_Markings.pdf