PDA

View Full Version : M1905 Grips

budmant
11-11-2009, 04:45
Would $100 be too much to pay for a set of walnut grips for the above? The catch is they are attached to a 1942 PAL un-cut.:icon_lol:

1mark
11-11-2009, 07:20
No $100 is not bad for the grips and bayonet. You could find a set of brown plastic grips and swap them out. Resell the bayonet and get the wood grips for free. BUT make sure the wood grips are not a reproduction.

budmant
11-13-2009, 08:48
here are some photos of the grips & blade

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/budmant/PAL/

RCS
11-13-2009, 04:04
I thought that the early 1905 wooden grips had the grooves (chatter) that were eleven passes per inch until around 1917 and later with seven grooves per inch. The later replacement grips with the wide grooves made during the post WW1 period until the 1930's were marked inside with drawing numbers:
right grip C64036 and left grip C64037.

1mark
11-15-2009, 07:05
Nice buy at $100. The grips have been worn and are missing the grooves but still thay are not broken up.
The grips can be swaped out of plactic ones, but the screw is not correct. You may need to keep that screw. If the threads are different in the threaded piece of the grips may not have the correct threads due the incorrect screw being cross threaded.

Bill Ricca
11-19-2009, 01:13
I have never counted the grooves, but I have seen only originals and the reproductions SARCO makes. The repros have deep, rough grooves.

1mark
11-21-2009, 10:32
Here are the grips on my M1905 SA 1922 bayonet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/LM7/M1905Grips-A.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/LM7/M1905Grips-B.jpg

John R.
12-14-2009, 05:08
Some fellow down in San Diego posted a set of REAL M1905 Walnut grip scales that I would bet my farm are real US GI,on epay last night.

Auction Number is: 1104 6988 0977

I sold my last set 3 or 4 years ago and have two bayonets in my collection that have these grip scales and as I say I'll bet my farm(1/4 Section) that these are the McCoy.JR

PS.I just pulled the RIGHT HAND grip scale off one of my bayonets and the Dwg No is B147061.Left one is too tight to monkey with.This matches the right hand grip scale shown in the e-bay ad.JR

Bayonetman
12-16-2009, 06:15
The ones with the drawing numbers are post WW1 replacements, probably later than 1925 and likelyin the 1930s.

Mike Haas
12-16-2009, 06:46
Some fellow down in San Diego posted a set of REAL M1905 Walnut grip scales that I would bet my farm are real US GI,on epay last night.

Auction Number is: 1104 6988 0977

I sold my last set 3 or 4 years ago and have two bayonets in my collection that have these grip scales and as I say I'll bet my farm(1/4 Section) that these are the McCoy.JR

PS.I just pulled the RIGHT HAND grip scale off one of my bayonets and the Dwg No is B147061.Left one is too tight to monkey with.This matches the right hand grip scale shown in the e-bay ad.JR

Rudeness not required.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110469880977&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

John R.
12-17-2009, 09:57
I have TWO M1905 Bayonets and both are mint with their original grips,rawhide wrapped scabbards and web covers with leather tips.
This being the case I don't NEED any spare parts for them and all my M1 Model bayonets are brand new(I had 660 to choose from after all)

A few years ago I had a flurry of guys asking IF I had any spare original walnut grip scales and only had ONE spare set and five right hand grip scales all of which was brand new old stock and came with the bayonet spares from Denmark in 1999.I still have original packages of ten springs all UC made with little Ordnance "Bombs" etc and plenty of original grip screws and a few original spare cross guards.Anyone who needs parts to resurrect a bayonet need only drop me a note.
After all the guys wanting original walnut grip scales at the time I referenced I thought that it might be a good plan to give the board a heads up.

I assume; when one takes your past commentary into consideration, that you take exception to this.Sobeit,Some folks just go out of their way to make useless venting noises. But then ;it's a free world isn't it?

As to my 1/4 section.I bought it ONLY to have a place to hunt mule deer in peace and on my own land.It's located just above the Fraser River mid way between Williams Lake and Quesnel B.C., I bought it from an old friend and let my neighbour run his stock on it in return for paying the taxes.NOT very productive land for either farming(hay) nor does it have a lot of water.You can run 20 head on it and that equates to $2K per head and I paid that plus a 'friendly'premium and all concerned are happy.I have been hunting that patch for almost 20 years now and ALWAYS get my buck(and doe too IF I get a draw).One day I might drill a well and put a house on it but probably NOT.It was a whim and I could afford it,so I bought it.Adding a house or perhaps a trailer would STILL see me 35 miles from town in either direction and I like my creature comforts and dining out.My wife doesn't like hunting NOR the cold you get at the end of October so it's just easier to stay in town and eat out.Lovely country and while Ken(the Canuck) has his place to the south of me on a lake.I have the Fraser River peacefully flowing by.VERY TRANQUIL and of course free from bothersome fools.

Cheers,

JR

Mike Haas
12-17-2009, 02:26
I have TWO M1905 Bayonets and both are mint with their original grips,rawhide wrapped scabbards and web covers with leather tips.
This being the case I don't NEED any spare parts for them and all my M1 Model bayonets are brand new(I had 660 to choose from after all)

A few years ago I had a flurry of guys asking IF I had any spare original walnut grip scales and only had ONE spare set and five right hand grip scales all of which was brand new old stock and came with the bayonet spares from Denmark in 1999.I still have original packages of ten springs all UC made with little Ordnance "Bombs" etc and plenty of original grip screws and a few original spare cross guards.Anyone who needs parts to resurrect a bayonet need only drop me a note.
After all the guys wanting original walnut grip scales at the time I referenced I thought that it might be a good plan to give the board a heads up.

I assume; when one takes your past commentary into consideration, that you take exception to this.Sobeit,Some folks just go out of their way to make useless venting noises. But then ;it's a free world isn't it?

As to my 1/4 section.I bought it ONLY to have a place to hunt mule deer in peace and on my own land.It's located just above the Fraser River mid way between Williams Lake and Quesnel B.C., I bought it from an old friend and let my neighbour run his stock on it in return for paying the taxes.NOT very productive land for either farming(hay) nor does it have a lot of water.You can run 20 head on it and that equates to $2K per head and I paid that plus a 'friendly'premium and all concerned are happy.I have been hunting that patch for almost 20 years now and ALWAYS get my buck(and doe too IF I get a draw).One day I might drill a well and put a house on it but probably NOT.It was a whim and I could afford it,so I bought it.Adding a house or perhaps a trailer would STILL see me 35 miles from town in either direction and I like my creature comforts and dining out.My wife doesn't like hunting NOR the cold you get at the end of October so it's just easier to stay in town and eat out.Lovely country and while Ken(the Canuck) has his place to the south of me on a lake.I have the Fraser River peacefully flowing by.VERY TRANQUIL and of course free from bothersome fools.

Cheers,

JR

John - I figured that would get under your skin! I was right! :icon_lol:

Enough already. We are not here to irritate one another. Please behave.

John R.
12-17-2009, 04:04
Not at all.I am in a HAPPY mood due to having been sitting here watching a stock go ballistic.
I also managed to convince a client that it won't be necessary for me to go hold his hand 3/4 of the way around the globe for at LEAST another 90 days.

I have always enjoyed INTELLIGENT discourse too.Unfortunately it is all too hard to find hereabouts.Trying to fathom the mindset of people who have irritating/abrasive personalities is beyond me.I wonder why they don't just stick to pulling the wings off flies or whatever else it is that they do? Making posts of a positive nature seems to be beyond some people's capabilities.I have visions of them living in squalor like the Kallikaks who were used as examples in abnormal psych resulting from incipient inbreeding and restricted gene pools.Many of them,like the Kallikaks,were a direct result of generations of these unfortunates marrying or just cohabiting with first cousins and even siblings on occasion.You know what they say about incest;"the family that lays together,stays together"!!

I was raised to the concept that dictates"if you can't say something of a pleasant or informative nature,keep quiet".Thankfully Pat's new idea on vetting posts by people with'history' seems to have reduced the incidence of irritating posts that do nothing to advance our cause(the ACQUISITION OF KNOWLEDGE AND CAMARADERIE supposedly).

I DO wonder about people who have nothing better to do with their time than"get under" other people's "skin".If indeed I even KNEW Mr Haas or had discourse with him and some bone of contention had arisen I might understand the mindset.As it is I don't know the man from a bar of soap let alone have a clue as to his complete ignorance vis a vis the value of an original set of walnut M1905 bayonet grip scales.For the record I sold the last pair I had for US$150 and the BUYER offered that price.I wasn't asking it..Land values ,even for poor quality farmland(mind you the DEER seem to LOVE it) up in the Cariboo are as I indicated.There is a formula that is predicated on how many cows can be grazed on the parcel of land.You need to know the quality of the forage etc and then calculate the number of cows and multiply that number by C$2K.IF you know the landowner and relations are good it is always a friendly gesture to ADD a few K$ and I did.I have been hunting that parcel since 1990 and always for free so I didn't begrudge paying a few more $ to make her retirement somewhat more pleasant.In actual fact she probably has a few MILLION in the bank but more power to her.My wife and I are like family to her and viceversa.In any event your obvious animosity makes me shake my head.UNLESS it is because your are big buddies with the guy I think you might be.No mind.I had to get up to take a client's call and now I am going back to bed here.(This para was added circa 02:45hrs PST)IF I can get his nibs off my foot that is.

Man's best friend just sat on my right foot and has his lead in his mouth.How a Staffordshire Bull Terrier who weighs 72 pounds manages to look so FORLORN just amazes me.There,the magic word has been said.He is en route to the door and parking beside my boots with his tail going at about 3600wpm(wags per minute)We are OFF !

Cheers all,even you Mike.Have a NICE DAY ! My sell order went through so all is well up here in the"Great White North".JR