PDA

View Full Version : L.F. & C. blade question

valkyrie45
01-28-2012, 07:32
I picked up a military knife that I am not sure what it is. It has a bright double edged blade, probably 9 or 10 inches long with a blood groove down the center. The blade has a "US" stamp and something that looks like a flame or crown on one side. On the other side is the "L.F.&C. stame with the flaming bomb dividing the F and C and the date 1919. There is a football shaped hand guard and a hand made two piece wood handle and metal pommel. The hand guard and handle looks to be home made.
It is dated too late for be trench art but it looks like someone made a fighting knife out of a bayonet or something.
Any suggestions as to what this knife was originally? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

m1ashooter
01-28-2012, 11:12
Is it possible to post pictures?

thorin6
01-29-2012, 05:33
Probably a knife made out of an old Patton saber; those knifes were made by a number of individuals and I believe a couple of knife companies.

5MadFarmers
01-29-2012, 06:09
WW1 trench knife.

I don't think L.F. &C. made swords. They made mess utensils and trench knives. Also some bolos.

Google "ww1 trench knife" and hit images. See if that's it.

valkyrie45
01-29-2012, 06:31
Here are some photos. If these attachments don't work I will try again. Thank you very much for your help and intersest.

m1ashooter
01-29-2012, 08:13
You have a Patton Sword that was cut down during WW2 to make fighting knives. Good find.

http://www.collectorsmilitaria.com/a_minty_us_patton_sword_by_lfc_021611.htm

Johnny P
01-29-2012, 08:15
Landers, Frary & Clark did indeed make the Patton Saber in 1918 and 1919, and they were made on Pratt and Whitney machinery.

Dan Shapiro
01-30-2012, 02:03
The army evidently had a large supply of sabres on hand at the beginning of the war. I recall reading that many were sent to Australia. The troops were scratching their heads as to what to do with them when someone said "machetes".

5MadFarmers
01-30-2012, 05:22
Landers, Frary & Clark did indeed make the Patton Saber in 1918 and 1919, and they were made on Pratt and Whitney machinery.

Dagnabbit, that's the second retarded post I've made in a week. Time to reboot the brain.

valkyrie45
01-30-2012, 06:00
WOW! That is a really neat sword, I am going to read up on them as well. I knew if anyone could figure it out you guys could! I really appreciate your help. I got if for practically nothing, any idea to its collectability or worth?

alibi
02-02-2012, 04:28
These were available from P&S Sales catalog in the 1960s. I bought allot of stuff from P&S sales and thought about acquiring one of these "trench knives" because I recognized that they were made from the blade of the M1913 saber. I thought at the time they were something put together by someone to use the blades and discounted the idea these were actually something done by the government for issue. As I recall the illustration in the catalog and the collector guide showed a rather plain wood handle and a knuckle bow guard. I wish I had bought a half dozen at the time they were available from P&S Sales. I have subsequently seen a couple of these at gun shows.

Apparently the blades were cut into three sections, so there was 3 variations of the blades. The section with the markings and the center section had to be ground to a point. The tip section and center section had to be ground to create the tang.

Your example has a different handle and guard (similar to the Fairborn knife) than those I recall seeing, so yours may be a one of a kind custom job.