PDA

View Full Version : I have seen it all, for now

blackhawk2
01-28-2012, 04:01
I cruised thru the used gun aisle at the local Cabelas today, on the rack there is a Mauser 98 chambered in 12 Gauge....The charger guide is intact, and it was only $ 200.00....

randy langford
01-28-2012, 05:28
That is about right for the price. Post war agreement allowed Germany to convert them to shotguns to help rebuild their economy I think some have a medal in the stock that says Geha or something like that.

dave
01-30-2012, 06:12
Not a good shotgun, the front lock lugs channels were milled out for large dia. of the 12 Ga. Only lug holding is the rear saftey lug. I guess they are safe with low power shells but I would never fire one!

blackhawk2
01-30-2012, 03:08
The rifle itself is in outstanding condition, with excellent metal and wood...But after a week on the rack at Cabela's, it will not look that good.

musketshooter
01-30-2012, 09:12
The GEHA was the economy model using an original military stock. The REMO was the deluxe model with a new made sporter style stock. I have both. They have steel barrels and are fine shooters with light traps loads. When using full field hunting loads, they will kick the heck out of you. I think $200 is about $50 to high.

kcw
01-31-2012, 08:28
The GEHA was the economy model using an original military stock. The REMO was the deluxe model with a new made sporter style stock. I have both. They have steel barrels and are fine shooters with light traps loads. When using full field hunting loads, they will kick the heck out of you. I think $200 is about $50 to high.

They were designed, especially the GEHA, to price compete with the Stevens/Mossberg type bolt action shotguns in the American market. An NRA review of them some 40 years ago pointed out the issue of the bolt lugs being milled down, but also noted that they were fully proofed to the strict German government standards applied to all smokeless shotguns made during that era. There was a GEHA that was traded among the kids in my neighborhood. I owned for a awhile. We shot everything 2 3/4" from "baby magnums" and slugs , on down, with no problems. It did kick like a mule with the heavier stuff though. The last guy to trade for it still has it in his gun safe.
At a recent gun show a dealer was trying to pawn a GEHA off as a WWI German trench gun for $650. He didn't like when I told the kid looking at it what it really was and what it was worth.

blackhawk2
01-31-2012, 06:28
It is a GEHA model..The stock is plugged, were the bolt disassembly piece once sat....Now it is missing about an inch of wood behind the tang, and has a crack that is 2 inch's long...That happened within 3 days in Cabelas...