PDA

View Full Version : Mitchell to make new mausers??

pelago
01-24-2012, 04:57
been reading that mitchell will be manufacturing and retailing new mausers, clones of 98's and sell them for less than 600.00

not a machinist but the bolt alone looks like it is a many stage operation, and that takes skill and or computer time. lots of pieces and parts. now if it is made in chinaland and comes out like a gibbs, maybe he can sell them for less than 600.00.

i wont buy one nor would i buy a gibbs, even though gibbs starts off with a good o3a3 receiver
barrel aint much, scope is worse

Mickey Christian
01-24-2012, 05:52
NRA mag had an article on these.
They are to be made in Serbia and retail for $699.00

PhillipM
01-24-2012, 06:11
Isn't that where the other Mauser clones were made for Remington and Charles Daley?

barkerwc4362
01-24-2012, 06:55
Yes, it is probably Zavodi Crvena Zastava. That is the same vender where Interarms also had theirs made. They were very nice receivers and rifles.

Bill

dave
01-25-2012, 09:41
They are also planning on a sporter version. It seems the 98k clones will have a croation crest?, fancy looking thing, never seen such a crest before. Refer to lastest A.R. mag.

nhcruffler
02-01-2012, 05:27
They look like they will be fine rifles but $699 for a reproduction K98 with out the proper markings? For that kinda money you should be able to snag a decent bring back don't you think? I guess I am just thinking that if you want a rifle that looks like a K98 you could just buy a really nice M48, 24/47 for a couple hundred bucks. I think Mitchell should have made an exact copies of K98 's with rare codes & markings. He could have put "Mitchell's Mausers" under the wood line so every one would know it was not an original. my 2cts

dave
02-01-2012, 06:04
A decent bring back will be more if matched. I would rather have a m/m then a Mitchell's, and I do have a couple m/m, come to think of it!

pelago
02-01-2012, 07:22
i am fortunate to have 11 mausers in total,,, all of my 98's with the exception of two are bring backs and have had since the days of Klein sporting goods model 98's for 20.00

Doug Douglass
02-02-2012, 07:33
The only Mauser I have Michells is now selling. In the same ad in the AR they have a rebuilt import marked Portugal Model 1941 for $799. I thought these were rather rare. Mine is not refinished and is all original matching numbers with crests on the wood and metal, nazi proofed, original sling and bayonet. Looks like it was a guard rifle due to the finish wear around the barrel at the muzzle.
If they want $800 for a rebuild I wonder what mine is worth?:icon_scratch:

pelago
02-02-2012, 08:01
go to a library and look at the "BLUE BOOK OF GUN VALUES"

if it shoots it is in there and it is quite accurate

Doug Douglass
02-03-2012, 04:02
go to a library and look at the "BLUE BOOK OF GUN VALUES"

if it shoots it is in there and it is quite accurate

I find it less than acurate on the actual value of collectable military firearms. It is a good reference book if you are buying.

Art
02-04-2012, 09:51
At least Mitchell's finally has some truth in advertising on these as opposed to the "humped" rifles they've been selling for years. Frankly I wouldn't consider $700.00 a terrible price for a new in the box Mauser 98k clone built to the actual Nazi specs. It wouldn't be my thing but I'm sure some folks would like one and they will probably be at least as good shooters as the originals.

pelago
02-04-2012, 09:59
if anyone looks at a Mauser 98 and looks at the machine work required to build the bolt, receiver pretty straight forward and a barrel is a barrel, but for the numbers he is probably going to run i just do not see how he can make the pieces and parts with a cost to provide a profit margin. Probably, and could be wrong, but this is all going to be farmed out to another country. assembled here maybe. but pieces and parts elsewhere..

that bolt has a lot of machine time to it, and even with the computer aided milling, still has to cost

Art
02-04-2012, 10:39
Mitchell's dosen't make firearms in the U.S. These firearms will be made in Serbia which I understand is where the refurbished rifles Mitchell's sells come from anyway. They have the machinery and the (relatively) cheap labor to make these rifles and sell them to Mitchell's at a price low enough for both the Serbian manufacturer and Mitchell's to make a profit.

Guamsst
02-06-2012, 08:18
I find it less than acurate on the actual value of collectable military firearms. It is a good reference book if you are buying.

Yep, bluebooks on military guns are never 100% or even close to 100% accurate. The fluctuations in prices from state to state are unbelievable at times. For example, A guy on here was wanting about $700-$800 for a type 14 nambu (going rate where he was). I could get one here for about $450-$500. Where he was at, a Type 38 rifle was about $400 Here, $300 is about max. They are great for general reference though and usually get you in the ballpark. What I love is that if a gun is worth 50% more than another according to the book, that percentage is usually accurate.

pelago
02-06-2012, 08:32
as far as gun book values goes,,, what else ya gonna have, it is a reference and what i have used it for is to debunk some of the ridiculous prices i seen at gun shows for rusty pieces of crap that the guy wants 100%NRA fine price, like a ****y bird 1873 pitted all to hell and no bore and busted stock for 2500.00 when it is worth may be 150.00 at most, i carry the blue book with me to gun shows and actually will look at the gun and open the book right in front of the guy and show him, usually pisses em off, but what the hell right is right. but if the price is close and yo want it, why not if you want to pay a bit more for a pristine model 98 say, or a bring back arisaka, and it is more thant the blue book but you want it, well its your money right

have found the blue book to be close on most colt first generation revolvers and have used it to buy them, bought a correctly cartgouched 1873 from indian war era for correct price using blue book to the dealer, and i asked him how long he had the gun, how long it was for sale, and that i would right here and now give cash at this price, and wrote it down on the page of the book and he said "deal!"

Guamsst
02-06-2012, 10:38
Experience in the local market is the best price guide. The book might help bring prices down in your area, but in another area it may drive prices up. Some guns in some places, they are right on. Other guns in other places they are way off and a few prices I have seen seem to be based entirely on guesswork. You asked "what else you gonna have" well, the guys who write those books go off auction prices and some of the big gunshows. This in no way represents the normal market in most places.

As to the folks with insane prices. A book usually means nothing to those guys nor does anything else. I've seen plenty of guns priced at 2-3 times what they will actually sell for and I see those guns over and over, show after show.

Albayo
02-08-2012, 05:07
I have about 80 or 90 Mausers in my collection and I can't see someone paying $700 for a New built Mauser.
If they were K98s with German codes and dates on the receiver like "bcd" 4 then it would make things interesting.

Art
02-08-2012, 05:34
I have about 80 or 90 Mausers in my collection and I can't see someone paying $700 for a New built Mauser.
If they were K98s with German codes and dates on the receiver like "bcd" 4 then it would make things interesting.

The Mausers Mitchell's has been selling, in my opinion, should not only be worth less than the rifles in your collection, they shouldn't be worth more than the new built ones they are going to market They don't seem to have trouble selling the rebuilt refurbished (note I didn't say restored that would give them too much credit) like new but totally non collectable overpriced firearms they sell now. At least the new ones will be marketed as what they are.

I saw a guy at the range a while back with two Mitchell's guns talking about what a great deal he had gotten on these two beautiful, authentic, like new WW II Nazi Kar 98Ks. I didn't have the heart to burst his bubble.

Mitchell's has been running a scam for years, they're just going to be a bit more honest with the new clones they're making which will be marketed as such.