PDA

View Full Version : 1895 Lee Navy

lonewoolf
01-21-2012, 07:37
What type of oiler or cleaning kit went in the buttstock trap on the Lee Navy rifle ?
If an oiler, was it anything like the 03 nickel plated type ? A Krag type is much too small.
Thanks for any help.

JBinIll
01-22-2012, 12:51
I'm still looking but one of these would tell you if anybody out there has one-

http://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BKA051

On line-

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/wp-content/uploads/manuals/M1895-Navy-Lee-manual.pdf

lonewoolf
01-22-2012, 01:37
Thanks for the reply. Checked both...no help.

JBinIll
01-22-2012, 04:01
The 95 Lee Manual notes the trap in the buttplate covers a "recess for cleaning material" there is no mention of an oiler nor is one listed anywhere.It does mention the cleaning pull-thru.The same period Krag manuals does list and show an oiler.

The Lee pull-thru is more along the lines of the Lee-Enfield type.It is illustrated in Shaffer and Dorsey's book on Gun Tools Vol.2.The pull-thru weight itself is 3 5/16 inches long,which would lead me to believe it was the only occupant of the "recess for cleaning material".I have found no mention of a Lee oiler in any reference book so far.

As with the Krag it may have been seen more oil was required than a buttstock oiler could carry and a seperate larger oil container was issued to Sgt.s to draw from for cleaning purposes.

lonewoolf
01-22-2012, 04:06
Great info, very much appreciated...THANKS

rayg
01-23-2012, 08:21
Here's what was in the butt trap of my Win Lee Navy rifle.
A worn bore brush and the brass bore pull through that's missing the string, Ray

lonewoolf
01-23-2012, 02:17
Wish it was in mine !!!

rayg
01-23-2012, 05:55
Here's the rifle they are in.

An original sling is another hard to find item for these rifles, Ray

lonewoolf
01-23-2012, 07:28
Beautiful. I have # 194*, and just acquired # 5960...a recovered rifle from the USS Maine. Looking to find the correct accessories, and expect them to cost more than I paid for either rifle.

5MadFarmers
01-24-2012, 12:47
Ray?
I think that pull-through is the first edition for the 1903. Only used very early. If so, and I think it is, it's missing the end and string.

http://5madfarmers.com/old/bimagesx/saai/oilers/earlythong-2f.jpg

One on the left. They only used that for a very short time.

rayg
01-25-2012, 12:31
You may be right, I never tried it to see if would fit the 6mm bore.
Added info,

Well just tried them and both the brush and the pull through fits the small .236 dia bore with even a little play so me thinks it's for a 6mm.
Here's a couple of photos in Eugene Myszkowski's great Winchester Lee Rifle Book. The 2nd photo looks just like it. Apparently it's not the Navy issued one but made by Winchester for their non navy contract purchased Lee Navies and sporters. Ray

5MadFarmers
01-25-2012, 03:02
Ok, now I feel stupid. I have Gene's book and should have checked it.

At least that's cleared up.

rayg
01-25-2012, 05:31
Ok, now I feel stupid. .

Been there myself! In fact way too many times, :o

JBinIll
01-25-2012, 08:46
Ok, now I feel stupid. I have Gene's book and should have checked it.

At least that's cleared up.

LOL Sometimes having lots of books creates its own problems.

rayg
01-26-2012, 03:46
Just to keep the two together, I found some hundred year old cotton string, looks like it anyway, and atached the two together so they won't get seperated. Now it looks like the one in the photo.
Lonewolf, I had replied to your request questioning the serial number of your Maine rifle on the other forum and sent you the "it's a hit" on the Maine serial numbers. Always a thrill when that happens and was very happy for you on that. Not every day does that happen, Ray

5MadFarmers
02-29-2012, 08:00
Last night, on eBay, I was well and truly smoked on one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220960202870

JBinIll
02-29-2012, 10:53
If it had been in the right category instead of cleaning supplies it would have probably went higher than that.Scarce piece and a cross collectible,the box is probably worth that much.Tough luck,been there,smoked.

Dan Shapiro
02-29-2012, 11:42
It's amazing what you'll find listed on Ebay when you widened your search parameters. YOU know what you're looking for. Some times the seller hasn't a clue. On one occasion I was the only bidder on a "gun barrel". Thanks to the pics, I recognized it was a WWII Winchester Garand barrel. On another occasion I picked up a virtually new Krag McKeever pouch - stamped Rock Island 1908 - State of Texas. It was listed as a "leather pouch". Again I was the only bidder. After the auction, the seller asked me "What is it?". Casting a wider net means you have to wade through the trash that you're not interested in, but you can find some real gems when you have the time to invest.

JBinIll
02-29-2012, 11:47
Very true,some good buys when the item is listed in the wrong category or mis-IDed.