PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever dealt with the VA?

lonegunman762x51
01-20-2012, 01:34
God I hate these people. I retired in late 2009 and have spent two years sending them paperwork and watching the make decisions that utterly boggle the mind. I had figured with complete documentation and a 27 year career it would be easy enough to review this stuff and decide something,,,,,,,,,man was I wrong.

With a DD214 showing service in Iraq, a picture of me and General Patreaus standing in the Al Faw Palace in Baghdad, copies of my orders, medical reports from the EMEDS, an Iraqi Campaign medal and a Commendation medal approved by my commanding BG, they still asked me to get a letter from a "witness" who saw me there.

As we slip into month 25 of this adventure one of my friends is retiring and saying, "I have complete documentation and cannot imagine this will be a problem". Man is he in for a surprise!

Now my congressman is working on it and after that I am sure I will need a lawyer in a year or two. I really just hate these people. Complaining on the internet is less bothersome to the neighbors than yelling to the sky in my back yard.

I'm glad I served and proud of my time in the service, sadly less than 1/2 of 1% of Americans serve in the military anymore. I just really hate people who send you a letter "thanking you for your service in Iraq" one day and deny the service on the next day.

And yes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I sent them copies of those damned letters as well.

Ahhhhhhh vent complete.

C5M1
01-23-2012, 08:33
Have had mostly good luck going through a local VA rep. Still a bunch of bureaucratic bs to wade through. should be used to it after 27 yrs....grin.. Don't let em grind ya down, thanks for your service.

regards, dennis

RED
01-23-2012, 09:16
I had a bureaucrat at the VA tell me that my DD214 only showed 31 days of active service. He was only off by 6 years!

Actually the bureaucracy hasn't bothered me as much as the poor quality of the care I have received. The VA hospital I go to has a Legion Service Rep on the premises and he pretty well knows which strings to pull. He helped get me the 10% service related disability rating that got me hearing aids and a pair of glasses. In the final analysis it all boils down to a crap shoot. If you are lucky you get somebody that actually does their job, or you may wind up like the OP... and that is SOL.

raymeketa
01-23-2012, 09:19
Just wait until you get a little older and have to deal with the Social Security Administration. You ain't seen nothing yet!

I live in a small town and the staff at the local VA office are all Vets or wives of Vets. I've never had a problem with them and they are always ready to help me when I have problems with the kids at the Regional office.

Ray

amber
01-23-2012, 02:51
Maybe I was very lucky, but I had NO TROUBLE with the VA or the Social Security Adm. When I became too disabled to work anymore, I hired an attorney who specialized in getting SS disability for folks who really deserve it. Only took about 3 months and the SS people paid the attorny's fees -- no joke!! Even got back disability benefits.

For my Viet Nam related disabilities, I went to the local state SO (service officer). She is a disabled former marine and had all set with the VA in short order. I am in Priority Group 1 and in addition to getting full disability, I (and my wife, if she should ever need to use it), get 100% of out medical care at the VA Hospital for free. That's everything, eye glasses, dental, etc. etc. everything.

I could not be more happy with the VA and their service to me. I can not imagine why so many people complain about the VA, getting benefits, health care, etc. Perhaps you are going about it in the wrong way.

Michaelp
01-23-2012, 03:46
42 years experience with them.

No real problems and overall excellent care.
I draw 70% for wound residuals and other stuff.

A lot of vets stroll in with a "you owe me atitude" and the fun begins.

There are better places to go if you can afford them, but I am satisfied.

Like any beurocracy, there are hoops to jump and one has to earn the ropes.

It is adviseable to get a good VSO-they range from so-o to outstanding.

joem
01-24-2012, 05:38
I to have had no problems with the VA or the care and treatment I've had so far. It takes time to get into the system and they are overwhelmed by the number of vets applying. Just sit back and relax. Respond to their requests for information as soon as possible and Don't ever miss a appointment or be late without calling in!

Johnny P
01-25-2012, 09:52
My wife's father was a WWII vet, and after he died my wife's mother required help to come to her home. The VA paid part of this expense, and getting all the required paper work and information took several months to get the benefit started. After about a year of this her mother had to go into a nursing home, which the VA didn't pay on. My wife and her brother contacted the VA to let them know their mother was in a nursing home so the checks would be discontinued. After several months, during which the checks kept coming, they had no success in getting the payment stopped. My wife finally contacted our U.S. Representative about the problem, and it still took his office another three or four months to get the payments stopped. None of the checks had been deposited, and finally a request came from the VA for the return of the checks from the time her mother went in the nursing home.

It seemed they could never get the right office or the right person. They were constantly being referred to another office, and nothing was happening.

Sean P Gilday
01-25-2012, 07:44
So far so good with the VA. When I came home in 2005 the Demob station, Ft. Dix couldnt be bothered to do any physicals or checks even on the guys like myself who had been wounded. Was told to go to the VA. Northport Long Island VAMC was superb. Went to physical therapy 4 times a week and regained the use of my right arm again. Had to beg off free eyeglasses since I bought my own, they sent me for all kinds of tests.

My Only quibble was the PTSD co-ordinator tried to get me to file for 30% disability and I have no symptoms at all. I told him, but his answer was free money which frankly pissed me off.

amber
01-25-2012, 11:49
Maybe you should have listened to him. The PTSD can really sneak up on you!!

m1grunt
02-12-2012, 10:02
A good friend ( awarded a DSC in Nam) had symptoms of an organic brain problem and went to the Pittsburgh VA. Was rotated through several different Doctors and treated for MS. After several years he ended up with a young fellow from the University of Pittsburgh who correctly found that the problem was a brain stem tumor. Had it been found earlier it could have been removed, but by then it was inoperable and he died . When I retired from the military I became a nurse and I know that this can happen anywhere. On the trips where I took my friend for treatment, I couldnt help but notice that there was a system that is over taxed, under funded and staffed by professional people that are in survival mode to get through the day. as with most sad remembrances, why it happened matters little as the end result is that a good man died before his time. I do not blame the VA but I do damn the system. Healthcare professionals do not make most of the decisions today. Medical facilities are run by twinkies with degrees in healthcare administration who couldnt tell the difference between a urinary catheter and a breathing tube. All healthcare is suffering but the VA has the double curse of also being government run. God help all of us older people in Obama care stays in effect.

John Sukey
02-15-2012, 03:07
Probably a good idea as obummer thinks you shouldn't own a gun if you have PTSD and the VA is required to report that.

Busterman
02-17-2012, 05:29
I really never thought I'd want to or need to use VA services but recently applied due to the need for medical coverage. I lost a great job in 2011 that I had for years in financial services due to "Complications with the Dodd-Frank Financial reform Act". I worked in the senior products division of a national bank, we did good work there and I still get calls from customers with referrals. I was a bit surprised to see that complete financial statements are now required for applicants in certain categories. I didn't see combat in 6 years of service and don't have a problem with the VA doing a financial analylis of my ability to pay, just have to wonder how much I will be required to contribute. I'm now 63 and have an older brother using VA services for years and is quite satisfied but he didn't have to provide financials. How long has this been a requirement? I have been waiting a response to my application for a month, from what I read here I think I'll be waiting awhile longer before I hear anything.

gwp
02-17-2012, 08:54
In 2002 the application had a check box to apply without providing financial information. Checking this box indicated you would pay the co-pay for services and this exemption continued on the yearly Benefits Renewal Form (10-10EZ). This was changed several years ago and now only specific individuals are exempt from filing the financial information.

The co-pay is reasonable $8 per month for each prescription and $50 for doctors or clinics. For the 5-6 day hospitalizations I received the co-pay was $1100 each. If your income is under the minimum requirement the prescription co-pay is the only cost.

holdover
02-20-2012, 11:06
Ah the VA, here is my story; Hurt my RT knee in the service and have all the documentation, witness statements etc. Have limped since 1969. Over the years it got worse, but I had a good job that made accomodations so I lived with it, in 2008 I joined the VFW and the American Legion, walked into my first VFW meeting and someone said what’s wrong with your knee, told them and they said I should file a claim. Went home looked up the info on the internet and filed a claim for my knee disability, First mistake, do not ever file a claim without the assistance of a service officer from one of the service orgs like the AL, VFW, DAV etc. That was Nov. 2008, in April 2010 discovered I had type 2 diabetes, and being a Vietnam vet I knew that they linked it to agent orange.. This time I went to the DAV and filed the claim, they asked me if I had hearing loss, tinnus , numbness in my feet etc which I did. Within 3 months had a physical at the VA and an assessment for the disabilities. They gave me hearing aids, glasses, diabetes supplies and medications and anything else I need plus a disability rating. At the same time I filed with the DAV for the diabetes told them about my unsettled claim for my knee. They got on it and before long the VA sent me a letter of rejection for the claim. THEY NEVER gave me a physical, so I appealed the findings. The morning I was suppose to have the appeal hearing I get a call and my DAV rep said that the VA called and wants to give me a physical for the knee injury, well how about that, now that was back in July 2011and has not been settled yet.

In conclusion the care I get at the VA hospital in Salem VA is top notch. I have private insurance and the Docs and nurses I see at the VA are head and shoulders above the ones I have seen in private practice. Example my urologist in private practice spends about 30 seconds with you in a bend over and touch your toes finger wave exam, and then is gone to see his many other patients, where-as the VA docs spend time to get to know you and your problems. A routine physical with my private doc is about 5-10 minutes , I went to the VA and it is over 30 minutes with no stone left unturned.. I feel they really care. I have a doctor assigned to me. Now the administrative section of the VA sucks big time, I know that they have a lot of claims, but 3.5 years and still not settled, give me a break. I think they wait for the patient to die.. And why is it that in many instances you need a service officer or a lawyer to get them to move. The hospital part gets an A+ from me, the administrative part gets an F

alibi
02-20-2012, 08:00
I have to say I have no personal experience with the VA medical services, despite that I retired from the Army Reserve in 1997 and started receiving retirement pay in 2007.

While I was on active duty in 1970 I was in the back of a 1/4 truck that because of the panic of the driver free wheeled down a steep slope and when it hit bottom I was thrown clear of the vehicle and then landed on my back in the vehicle. There was no report of the incident and I never went on sick call because of it. I now suffer lower back pain on a recurring basis and considered the idea of making a claim with VA. From what I have heard regarding the VA requirement for documentation and witness statements, none of which I have, I figured that would be futile. I went on to active and reserve duty and figured if I ever made a claim I would be discharged, so in the end I think I came out the better for it. However, I would recommend that anyone in any military scenario that is injured immediately request a Line of Duty Report, and document the event. (As the XO of a reserve unit on annual training at Ft. Irwin I wrote eleven Line of Duty Reports, including two on the same soldier for falling off a tank and separate occasions)

I have two female acquaintances that have nothing but good things to say about VA treatment. One was a reservist on active duty for training when she fell ill, was hospitalized and diagnosed with Lupus. She was medically retired and has been very well taken care of by VA since.

The other person is a "gray area retiree" that is no longer active in the reserve, but eligible for retirement pay, but not old enough to draw retirement. She was diagnosed with breast cancer and was treated by a physician. She then had double breast implants (one to replace the breast removed and one cosmetic to make them both the same) that was badly done. She went to the VA and has been treated to repair the problem with the implants and has been completely satisfied with the service.

Most of the complaints I have heard about the VA regarding application for treatment has been for exotic conditions such as the health problems from "Agent Orange" and "Gulf War Syndrome" although I'm sure there are others. I know a fellow that is a member of the "Atomic Veterans" that were exposed to the detonation atomic weapons, and there is a high incidence of illness related to radiation poisoning among these people.

The Veteran's Administration has been highly criticized for treating people with phony claims of service related injury, and with the tightening budgets it is to be expected that the scrutiny of claims will be thorough. I hope that all who require medical treatment and relief through disability payments will receive those benefits to their satisfaction.

Reading the replies to this thread has been both enlighting and saddening. I hope that you are successful in getting the treatment you require and deserve.

amber
02-20-2012, 08:25
TO HOLDOVER -- when your knee claim finally gets settled, you will receive back disability payments for it. Please read my posts eariler in this thread. With the exception of a personality conflict with my VA priminary care doctor andl anguage problems (my hearing clearly), I could not be happier with the care I've received at the VA Hospital and of course the full disability I receive.

I hope all Viet Nam Vets belong to the Viet Nam Veterans of America and of course their local chapter. In the 25 or 30 years that I've been a member, I have never attended any meetings and still when I asked for help on how to file for disability, they steered me in the right direction with no BS. MY local state Service Officer is great too. She told me to do whatever she said without question, no matter how stupid it seemed at the time. I followed instructions to the letter and even though my rating is 70%, I get 100% money because I can not work. In addition, I am in Priority 1 for medical care. I pay for nothing. They even want to give me a couple of dental implants which I understand could be worth 4,000 $$ each, but so far I can still get along without any new teeth -- why go through the pain until I really have to. My wife could also get free medical care - that's EVERYTHING - if she ever wanted to. But she has private insurance from her former employer and is happy with that.

FOR YOU VETS WHO HAVEN'T APPLIED YET, WORDS OF ADVICE:

1. Be nice. Even though you are entitled to benefits, don't demand anything. Sugar catches a lot of bees.
2. Use your State Service Officer (SO), that's why they are there, to help you stay on track.
3. Follow the SO's instructions exactly.
4. Be patient. This stuff takes time. Remember that you WILL get back benefits.
5. Gather all your military records together before applying. Have your sh-t in an orderly fashion.
6. Make copies of EVERYTHING. I can't imagine not having a copy maching especially at today's prices.
7. Don't miss an appointment. If you can not be there, CALL. Be on time too, even though you'll probably have to wait.

Former Cav
05-18-2012, 07:09
KEEP after them and DON'T give up!! that is what they want you to do.
If you live in the north, Like MN, IL or some LIBERAL place like that, it might be wise for you to MOVE to a "more veteran friendly state".
It took me THIRTY years to get comp for one leg, one eye, and two ears, and it was ALL right their on THEIR paper. I've known other guys who just got "theirs" after FORTY years!!
Good luck and DON'T give up.
BTW... I firmly believe that the VA gave me PTSD !!! don't tell them that though.

joem
05-19-2012, 06:58
7. Don't miss an appointment. If you can not be there, CALL. Be on time too, even though you'll probably have to wait. I was told that never miss or be late for you appointment without calling. I'm always early and sometimes if sombody misses their appointment I get in early.

Big_Al
05-22-2012, 11:44
I did my three and got out, back in 1970. For reasons that don't really matter anymore, I never recieved an exit physical. My hearing had been damaged in service, but I just learned to live with it.
A friend (WWII vet) last year got some hearing aids from the VA, and my wife (who has griped about my hearing for the 22 years we've been married) convinced me to try. Having seen buddies encounter the VA Motto "Deny, deny, deny; 'till you die" I started with my state service officer, every county in Florida has one. He is a 20+ year Navy vet and he sent in my application for Priority Six, Vietnam service. The VA bumped me up one level to Priority Five (low income). I am now "in the system" and have been tested and approved for hearing aids, had an Agent Orange Evaluation, and a general physical.
Our local rural area clinic is staffed by friendly caring people. I had to go to two different places in two different cities for other things, and llike m1grunt above noted the system is stretched to the limit, the staff is friendly and professional but overwhelmed.
I have not, nor will I, file for disability for my hearing (service connection too hard to prove) nor my PTSD. However, if i get any of the Agent Orange related diseases I probably will.
#1 thing: get help from a Service Officer, whether that's provided by your state, county, local VFW, American Legion, DAV, whatever. Do not try to do it yourself, the frustration will kill you.

Bill D
05-22-2012, 08:11
Big All is absolutely correct. I tried to do a disability claim for hearing and got nowhere. I then was told that I would have MUCH better luck by going with the El Paso County VSO. The nice gentleman there told me that unluss you understand the system intimatly, the claim is going nowhere. I have now been tested and am waiting for the paperwork. Still no hearing aids but things are at least moving. The ball is in the VA's court.

Big_Al
05-23-2012, 05:51
Bill, it took two months to get the appointment with the audiologist. The VA farmed the hearing test out to a local, civilian place, who did the test and sent the results in for approval (severe hearing loss, according to the audiologist). Three more weeks went by before I learned I was approved, now they are being made for me. My appointment for fitting required another three week wait.
After June 4th, I should be able to hear the birds sing for the first time since Nam. I'm excited!
Note: This was the process for hearing aids WITHOUT filing a disability claim. That would take a lot longer.
The VA did not have to approve me, they could have turned me down since I can not prove service connection.

Bill D
05-24-2012, 07:14
I'd say you were very fortunate in your dealing with them. The VSO told me that I needed to go the disability route after they had turned me down for just asking for aids even with documentation that I had hearing loss. I was sent out to Fort Carson for my hearing test. Fort Carson (and I suppose the entire VA system) is pretty busy now with folks coming back from Afghanistan. I had the hearing test about two months ago. The lady administering the test told me I needed aids and that was before she put me in the booth.

Guess I'll just have to wait. Glad you are having better luck.

Bill D

Big_Al
05-25-2012, 09:16
Ahhhh, Fort Carson. I did time there with the 46th Field Artillery Group. We were down in the old wood barracks by the back gate. Our motor pool was the last one before the gate, in fact.
Too darn cold for a Florida boy! I volunteered for Vietnam to get the heck outta there.

Bill D
05-25-2012, 10:34
You wouldn't know the place now. All the old building are gone with brand new fancy buildings in their place. I was out there this week and a couple of vacant lots are now covered with housing units and a new school. It just keeps getting bigger and bigger with an Aviation Brigade due in any day now. I used to be with an NG artillery battery (8" self-propelled, the old full cab models) and we set up and ran fire missions about where the new hospital is now.

I guess nothing stays the same.

Former Cav
06-21-2012, 04:44
only took me THIRTY years to get compensation for what was on my records in 1968 and they had em all there! BTW... did you know that McKenzies Raiders (3rd Squadron, 4th Cavalry, 25th Inf. Div) was a NON-combat unit in 1968. That's what the fat lib at the VA told me.
I had a 100% FAILURE rate in dealing with them over 30 years.
I could write a book about it but I don't want to bore you all to tears.
I STAY away from them.

coastie
10-17-2012, 07:50
I have been going to Houston VA almost 20 years now.
My best primary care Doctor left to become a chief at a Canadian hospital.--Hey, she was a foreign trained Doctor!
Some doctors have the idea that this is a pool of subjects for practice. PSA very low, but a doc in training wanted practice to check prostates.
Not me. [procedure was dubbed "a nail gun up the......" Got the picture?]
And a prominent doctor conducted a two year knee study. I believe he came close to cooking the books on my case.
The good doctors and nurses and staff are great here.
The paperwork is......well, gov'mt.
But go to records and get copies of doctors reports, and tests, and x-ray and mri results.
You may have to ask for amendments, and correct some entries.
oh, co pay is subjective. And confusing.
And be carefull of prescriptions sent that you do not want. You have co-pay, remember.
Remember to tell when you are forced to medicare.
Take care out there, y'all, Paul

navdocret
11-09-2012, 07:07
I am "serviced" by the Fayetteville Ar. VA. Very good care for the most part. However, forget about an new treatment modalities. I've been dx'd with leukemia and my only options are: "slash, burn and poison" according to american cancer society guidelines. Will be visiting a clinic overseas soon.

cplnorton
11-13-2012, 09:54
I lost partial sight in my left eye when I was in the Marines and it was highly documented in my medical records, and was a big part of why I was discharged. I never filed for disability with it, but it's been getting worse and I can't see very well. Well I filed a claim with the VA mostly to get free medical help with it, not so much for the montly paycheck, that was over 2 years ago and they are still reviewing it. I had a VA eye appointment over 7 months ago and the doc said there is damage and said he would try to push it through so I could get medical treatment on it. Like I said that was 7 months ago.

I'm glad it's not something I could have died from. Because I would be dead now.

Maybe I need to get in trouble with the law and go to prison. At least my eye would be fixed free of charge within a month. Plus free food, a nice gym, and free rent. It's sad that us vets get treated this way.

holdover
11-14-2012, 09:02
In my opinion the care at the local VA hospital in Salem VA is top notch, the adminstrative part of the VA gets a F-, still waiting for a military records documented claim filed in Nov 2008.

TomSudz
11-15-2012, 11:03
The providers at the VA that I have had experience with are good people who really took the job to help vets. Many of them could be making better money somewhere else and at times I feel for them because they're trying to help, but their hands are often tied for treatment options. The bean counters and bureaucrats, however, feel that it's their job to save the government money by denying or minimizing claims from us whining, crybaby vets who are trying to put one over on Uncle Sam. My dealings with the VA have led me to wonder; At what point does it make sense that a veteran should need a lawyer to fight against the government agency that is there to help veterans?

For those who have never had to deal with the VA and it's rules, I'll give an example. I've been fighting them since '06 (which is nothing compared to the fights that others have had) over a spine injury. In March of 2011 I received a letter from the VA that stated that they were going to make a determination on my appeal because I had not responded to their request to provide releases from my doctors. I responded (registered mail) to their letter that I had not received their request and gave them the doctors names, addresses, and gave the doctors permission to release my information. I also told them that I was (at the time) experiencing pain in my back and had been on sick leave from work since February, but hoped to be back at work by late April or early May. Now, for those who don't know, the VA will only use lost time from work, as a determining factor for comp, from the previous year. I was out of work February, March, April, and May of 2011. When was the next contact from the VA? Last September (2012). After waiting over a full year, when the 4 months away from work no longer counted, the VA sent me release forms that needed to be filled out so they could get my records from my physicians. Their letter stated that their original request for my records (that they claim I didn't respond to) was returned as undeliverable (not refused, return to sender, or any other such term) and there was a note (from someone in the VA) that the letter had been sent to the wrong address. So, they were going to make a determination on my appeal because I had not responded to a letter that they knew I never received and waited, intentionally, over a year, to contact me, so as to be able to minimize my claim and keep my 4 months in a bed from working in my favor. They play this game all the time to screw vets out of benefits. Maybe I should have sneaked into the country or just stopped working and gone on the public dole, the government can't seem to give those people enough.