PDA

View Full Version : Mod. 98 numbers matching

ShotgunSavy
01-19-2012, 07:54
I was recently helping my grandfather clean out his basement and attic and came across an old model 98 rifle. I know nothing about these guns but after knocking the dust off of it I realized the serial numbers are all matching 7120. Also I'm various locations on the gun there are small markings stamped into the metal. If someone could tell me more about this gun and what it could possibly be worth I would appreciate it thank you

leftyo
01-19-2012, 08:14
your going to have to tell us a whole lot more about the rifle before anyone can give you good info on what you have.

mike webb
01-19-2012, 09:01
If it is a K98k, that is WW2 German issue, they are in high demand in all matching, unsanded wood condition. Is the bolt handle bent down or straight? Is the action in the white or blued? Is the receiver ring marked with a number or letter code(denoting manufacturer)? Or does the action have a crest on it(maybe South American or Czech or Polish). Like leftyo said more info is needed as the 98 Mauser was used by over 50 countries in the last century and there are many variants, some much more valuable than others. Regardless of it's origin, the all matching serials are great and add a premium(sometimes a large one) to it's value.

dave
01-19-2012, 10:33
You would almost need a picture of overall veiw and of markings or a detail list of markings and location. Is it military or a sporter? The more info and detail the better the answer!

ShotgunSavy
01-19-2012, 11:35
The metal on the gun is worn down but there are 3 distinct German emblems on one side all 3 side by side with numbers or letters below each but I cannot make them out and on the opposite side thereis a different emblem almost looks like 2 mountains side by side. The wood is all in original shape never sanded or lacquered. Worn down in areas where a soldier would hold as in firing position. The bolt is bent downand as for everything else I am by no means a gun expert and would need a professional to look at it and tell me what it all means. Every part of this gun is numbered I'm just not educated enough to comprehend what the significance of the numbers are

RED
01-19-2012, 11:43
I'm just not educated enough to comprehend what the significance of the numbers are

Neither is anybody else on this forum unless they can see the markings and number... Have you ever consider posting a picture?

ShotgunSavy
01-19-2012, 11:58
I have but it's not clear enough to make out in a picture. I took a couple just not clear enough to help

Beachbumbob
01-19-2012, 12:36
Even a full length picture would give everyone a place to start from.

JB White
01-19-2012, 12:36
Hi ShotguSavy and welcome to the board.

Photos of markings are sometimes hard to do with the equipment we have on hand. You'll need to play with light and distance and camera settings etc. If you're using a phone camera...forget it. You'll only end up doing this: :eusa_wall:

Try highlighting the marks by rubbing them with something such as white chalk or a white china marker and see what happens. That often helps.

Deano41
01-19-2012, 12:44
Depending on the year and arsenal, Mausers are usually well marked. Look on the left side of the receiver rail. is there an arsenal or model number? Look on top of the receiver. Is there a crest, or letters or numbers? You knew to check for matching numbers, so these other litle details will give us a clue
Otherwise it's "I found an old car in the garage. What is it and how much is it worth?" :>)

dave
01-19-2012, 12:50
With the 3 german marks on right side (how do you know the are german) sounds like it may be a K98k but the right side marks "looks like 2 mountains" throws me. we need a full length pic, not clear or not, at least we could narrow it down to which model. K98k's are distinctive looking.

mike webb
01-19-2012, 01:59
The three "German Marks" sound right if they are eagles with wings outspread holdong a swastika. The mountain like stampings sound like Weimar republic proofs. Many pre ww2 K98k's were assembled during the governmental changeover to the Nazis so some will have both Nazi and Weimar republic markings. It would be nice to see decent photos.

ShotgunSavy
01-19-2012, 02:04
I took one full length picture, I will try to get some of the emblems as soon as possible. Its difficult to get around glare

ShotgunSavy
01-19-2012, 02:20
hopefully these can help solve the mystery a little bit

ShotgunSavy
01-19-2012, 02:22
more

jon_norstog
01-19-2012, 07:40
Well, shotgun

WHatever you have, it's dated 1937 is a K-98 configuration, but it's been sporterized. With that date it should have the Nazi s**tbird on it. What it has looks more like an imperial eagle. Austria? I would post it in the mauser forum. There are some very knowledgeable people who post in the "Milsurps" mauser forum who could help you also.

If it's prewar and the barrel is good, it will be an excellent shooter or N. American big game rifle. Depending on its origin it may be worth restoring.

Good luck!

jn

gwp
01-19-2012, 08:05
It appears you rifle is S 243 marked and that would make it manufactured by Mauser AG Borsigwalde.

Here are several sites that will help decipher the codes on your rifle:

http://home.scarlet.be/p.colmant/k98kmarkings.htm

http://mauser98k.internetdsl.pl/kodyen.html

tmark
01-19-2012, 08:26
If you can borrow or buy BACKBONE OF THE WEIRMACHT, it will be a big help in explaining the markings.

Deano41
01-19-2012, 09:48
"it's dated 1937 is a K-98 configuration, but it's been sporterized."
It does indeed look to have been sporterized. This is unfortunate as far as value is concerned. An original, matching, military rifle is worth much more than one that has been sporterized. Unforunately fifty years ago, military rifles were more plentiful and were altered to make inexpensive hunting rifles.

spanner1751
01-19-2012, 10:39
It may have been mildly sporterized, but fortunately not drilled/tapped. It looks as if only the front part of the stock has been chopped off. If you care enough to restore it to it's original configuration, do some research and get a proper stock with barrel bands. The stock and hardware may cost several hundred dollars, but it would be worth it to me.

Here are some pictures of another 1937 243.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?866-s-243-1937-F-block

I found more info on the Borsigwalde K98k rifles for you.

http://www.ycgg.org/pdfpages/ww2/mauser-borsigwalde.pdf

BTW, a few years ago, I bought and restored a sporterized bring-back "ar 44" rifle that had the stock replaced with a sporter stock, but no drilling/tapping. I had a decent replacement stock, but the stamped bands were difficult to find. It's a shame that people just threw away the stocks and barrel bands back then, but that's why they're worth so much now. In original condition, the rifle would have been worth $1,000 or so.

dave
02-21-2012, 06:21
Restored it would just be a mis-matched rifle, worth maybe 450-500. The eagle on left side in a Wiemer eagle, that is the final firing proof and for some reason the Wiemer style was used into 1938, 1939 on some makes.
I would do a "duffel cut" repair on that stock, preserve the main original matched portion. Then you would only have two m/m parts, upper band & bayo lug. Then you could blame that on the GI who brought it home!