PDA

View Full Version : NRA changed the scoring disk position... again!

PhillipM
01-11-2012, 01:26
http://i45.servimg.com/u/f45/15/55/99/36/2012_s10.jpg

http://www.nrahq.org/compete/rulechanges.asp

I guess it confused too many people to have 7-10 all across the bottom?

Jim in Salt Lake
01-11-2012, 04:43
Oh crap, here we go again. I would bet that's one of the reasons. Also, notice that they've moved the miss position from the 12 o'clock position to the two bottom corners. We'll need to have two scoring disks at each target now. NRA must be totally paranoid about reaching up to the top of the target frame, berm wall is pretty low at Viale range at Camp Perry. I always feel like I need to duck when I'm pulling targets there (6'4").

Maury Krupp
01-11-2012, 06:56
...NRA must be totally paranoid about reaching up to the top of the target frame...
If that's the motivation what's the plan when I pop a 5 at 12 o'clock? Doesn't it get spotted?

Maury

Allen Humphrey
01-12-2012, 07:12
I'm guessing they are trying to fix both issues (reaching above the berm and too many score positions on the bottom). With regard to reaching high on the target....they are treating the symptom and not the cause as Maury pointed out. That said, I don't have any issues with indicating a miss as now directed, as I was never crazy about hanging a big marker adjacent to the aiming black.

Maury Krupp
01-12-2012, 07:56
Using double disks for a Miss does eliminate the hole in the scoring rings needed for the OLD-new system. I wonder how the originators of that idea planned to prove the missing shot didn't go through that hole whenever there was a "9-No" challenge? :icon_rolleyes:

But with this NEW-new system they're trying to "fix" what wasn't broken in the first place :mad:

The OLD-old scoring system which replaced the paddles used with the 5V targets worked perfectly fine.

It had a place for everything and those places were easily discernable with the naked eye at 200yd. No kinda-sorta in-between places; no multiple use places; no double scoring disks. Quick, simple, and easy for both the scorer and puller.

This all just goes to prove the old axiom:

"IF IT'S WORKING DON'T F*CK WITH IT!"

Maury

Jim in Salt Lake
01-13-2012, 10:10
Yep, I'm with you Maury....there's no real need for these changes. We have some buckets in our pits so that the height challenged (mainly our juniors) can reach for those high shots. At Perry in 2009, they passed out laminated cards with the then new scoring system displayed. We'll make some for use here at home for the new system.