PDA

View Full Version : Beginning a Highpower program at local club

Cullenparker
01-10-2012, 12:53
Howdy all,

Some friends and myself are interested in trying to stand up a highpower program at our local club. We have 200 and 300 yard ranges but no pits. The challenge I foresee is trying to cater to shooters that are new to the game and might not be equipped for it, since we are starting from scratch and don't have any equipment which we can loan. We have 200 and 300 yard berms and target stands but no pits.

Can anyone give me guidance as to how to begin? I want to create a relaxed, but well run friendly match that people will keep coming to shoot in.

Thanks

Cullen Parker

Jim in Salt Lake
01-10-2012, 01:05
Hi Cullen, what state are you in? If this was Utah, I would put you in touch with the Utah Rifle and Pistol Association, our state CMP affiliated association. We have a regular highpower program and a great way to get new shooters stared is with a Garand clinic. Using Garands owned by our association, the clinic takes new shooters through a complete course of fire. We did one last spring on a hundred yard range using reduced targets. I would recommend that you use your 200 yard range, shoot at 100 yards using the appropriate targets, to hold down the time to walk down and change/score targets. Hopefully, you live in a state with a good state association, they should have experienced highpower folks. You can check this link for CMP affiliated clubs, your state association is probably one of them: http://www.odcmp.com/Clubs/searchclubs.htm Check this link if you want to affiliate your club with the CMP: http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/Clinics.htm

pmclaine
01-10-2012, 01:54
You might consider this to get your feet wet...

A local club I shoot at runs an informal once a month "Surplus match". They do not have pits and shoot at 100 yards using reduced targets. The nice thing about their operation is that each shooter gets four targets and two target stands. This makes for an efficient match. They limit the line to 8-10 shooters. The course of fire is as follows

1. 10 sighters - slow fire prone. Shooters go down range after the ten sighters to paste their targets, confirm their sights. Target is a reduced target representing a 600 yard slow fire.

2. 20 for score slow fire prone on the 600 yard reduced target.

3. 10 shots rapid fire prone on a reduced target representing 300 yard rapid fire.

4. 10 shots rapid fire sitting on a reduced target representing 300 yard rapid fire.

5. 10 shots slow fire off hand on a reduced target representing 200 yard slow fire.

The targets are placed in the two stands. The targets are two per stand, one on top of the other. The two target stands are placed side by side. In the lower left is the reduced 600 yard prone target. To its left on the first target stand is the reduced 300 yard rapid fire prone, above it is the reduced 300 yard sitting. To the right of the sitting on the second stand (above the reduced 600 yard prone) is the reduced 200 yard offhand target.

This arrangement makes for a quick match. There is only one walk down to paste the targets, All targets are up at once, and at 100 yards most spotting scopes/binoculars (possibly) will be able to pick up the shot holes. You can get through a match pretty quickly, the target costs are reasonable, you dont need outrageous equipment to start. I believe the club gets credit with the CMP as running a qualified shooting program with this match. Contact the CMP and see what they can do to help you out.

Maury Krupp
01-10-2012, 03:02
Assuming you've already determined there is enough interest among local shooters for some sort of highpower program:

-Determine what kind of program. CMP Games, CMP SR, or NRA XTC? These terms are only short-hand for the most common types of programs. It doesn't mean you have to sanction your matches with anyone. That will depend on what your shooters want and how you feel about the paperwork and additional fees

-Get the necessary rulebooks: NRA http://www.nrahq.org/compete/RuleBooks/HPR/hpr-book.pdf and CMP http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/Rulebook.htm Read them at least once especially the Range Operations sections. You don't need to memorize anything; just get a general idea of what's there and where to look

-Draw up the Official Match Program (CMP has an example at the "Competitions" tab). Obtain approval from the range operator, then post it at the range and other places potential shooters will see it.

-Acquire the necessary targets and other supplies (target stands, backers, pasters, staple guns or tape, scoring gauges, timers, etc). Without pits don't forget a Commence Fire/Cease Fire whistle or airhorn :icon_wink:

-Get or make your own range command scripts (I have a set if you want them)

-Learn how to deal with ties, alibis, 9-Yes, 9-No, etc (I have a Range Officer's Guide with decision trees if you want it)

If you plan to make your match a regular thing make it truly regular. Get a day/date and time hammered into the range schedule. Not one day this month and a different day next month. People need to plan.

You'll also need to follow through on holding the matches; rain or shine, hot or cold, whether you feel like rolling out of bed that AM or not. Few things are death to attendance like shooters showing up for a scheduled match only to find out it was canceled at the last minute. If only one shooter shows up and wants to shoot you owe him a match.

None of this is particularly hard or expensive in time or money; it does take a little dedication. Chances are once you get the program on its feet there will be others willing to share the load.

But first somebody has got to start somewhere and it sounds like you're elected :evil6:

Maury

Cullenparker
01-10-2012, 03:42
All,

Thank you for the replies. They are helpful! I live in Texas, and I have contacted our state association so we'll see what they can do for us. As far as interest goes, a few people have mentioned to me directly they would like to shoot, but how does one go about gauging interest otherwise? I think we could get a program going, especially due to there being a large Border Patrol station in our community, and all those guys and gals have rifles. At the moment I'm thinking we'd shoot under NRA rules, to allow some of the "tactical" iron sight AR15 types to compete under match rifle. And at 100 yards, their equipment wouldn't hold them back quite as much as if they shot it at further distance.

Jim in Salt Lake
01-10-2012, 03:59
Hey Cullen, You can design your match to have more than one class, such as Modern Tactical and Vintage Military. You also ought to think of awards, they bring the shooters back. They don't have to be expensive or fancy. Last season, our trophies were different cartridges (20mm, .50, various .30s, etc.) mounted on some inexpensive bases donated by a trophy shop. The competition for these is intense. Another award our match director gives is the "First Shot an X" pin that is given to those whose first shot (usually a sighter under NRA rules) scores an X. He made these pins out of wood on an engraving machine and they're VERY popular. Above all, make the matches fun by running them efficiently, have prizes, and thank the competitors for coming.

Cullenparker
01-10-2012, 07:08
I like the awards ideas. Is there a way where the match director can also participate in the match, provided stakes are low and it isn't a regional or state championship, something of that nature?

Maury Krupp
01-10-2012, 07:45
CMP Rules are silent on the subject.

NRA sanctioned matches are either Approved (club) or Registered (state and regional).

There is nothing to prevent the Match Director of an Approved match from participating.

NRA General Regulation A-8 and Rule 11.3 restrict the Supervisor from competing in an Approved match. It says nothing about him shooting out-of-competition.

The position of Supervisor may be rotated between individuals on a match-to-match basis so the same person doesn't get stuck at every match.

The idea is to have someone with nothing to gain or lose making any rule decisions.

And if you choose not to bother with sanctioning from either CMP or NRA you can do whatever you want.

Maury

Allen Humphrey
01-11-2012, 08:17
Cullen,
You have received some great suggestions already so I'll keep mine short.....The NRA foundation has grants available that can assist with range development and program development. Find your regional rep and they could talk you thru the steps. Also, if there are some other ranges nearby, get to know the program directors. They can offer advice and suggestions. As your program grows you will find that competitiors will travel to other ranges for matches. Last... if logistics permit, designate a "practice" night during the week. The practice allows you to become comfortable and familiar with the rules and procedures and it provides a fun way to meet, train, and assimilate interested folks into the program without the apprehension of a match. .... one more, don't turn away shooters even if they don't have the right equipment. For example, I'd let a guy shoot his scoped Mini-14 ranch rifle in my CMP match. He just won't be up for awards or CMP scores. Good luck!

pmclaine
01-11-2012, 08:41
Cullen,
.... one more, don't turn away shooters even if they don't have the right equipment. For example, I'd let a guy shoot his scoped Mini-14 ranch rifle in my CMP match. He just won't be up for awards or CMP scores. Good luck!

This is key, secondary only to safety. The matches I attend the coordinators are more concerned with getting new shooters involved than whether or not they follow any strict rules. Often there is a teenager firing a club Garand as their first firearm shoot ever. The new shooters always seem to enjoy the event.

I finally have all my own gear to be self sufficient at a more formal match. I credit these 100 yarders with giving me the appetite for more.

Its not a sanctioned match but it may be a seed to grow something more formal. Get people interested and get the fun factor going than gauge the interest in developing something more formal.

PhillipM
01-11-2012, 02:04
-Learn how to deal with ties, alibis, 9-Yes, 9-No, etc (I have a Range Officer's Guide with decision trees if you want it)

I'd like the Range Officer's Guide, Mr. Krupp!

Maury Krupp
01-12-2012, 08:09
PM me with an email address and I'll send it to you as a pdf.

It's too big to post here and this site's email feature doesn't allow attachments.

The same goes for anyone else too.

Maury

kb1903
01-12-2012, 08:30
Jon Donald of the Central New Jersey Rifle Club hosts 200 and 300 yard high power matches. There are no pits. All shooters shoot 20 shots, then go to backers to change targerts which are returned to the firing line area to be scored by neighboring shooter. 2nd rely shoots while this takes place. 300 yard bullet holes are easily visable by using white plastic behind the backer which reflects through the bullet holes. An entire 80 shot match takes less than 2 hours. If interested in how this is done, feel free to e mail me direct. kb1903@comcast.net.