PDA

View Full Version : USMC Western

kurtflys
11-09-2009, 06:55
Does anyone have any information on the correct scabbard for this knife? I think it has the correct low keeper but the scabbard is longer than it needs to be which makes me wonder if it is original to this knife.

SKIPH
11-09-2009, 05:36
Kurtflys- There is one on "World War 2 Weapons.net", item# 310180428176. I know the sheaths were tooled, but I thought they had a complete loop. Check it out. Hope this helps. SKIP

kurtflys
11-10-2009, 06:32
I tool a look and I think that sheath is wrong also. The keeper should be lower. But it is nice to see another one.. I have a friend that also has one, and his scabbard is like mine but a little shorter.. I begining to think that they were issued with different scabbards based on what was available at the time.. I have seen perhaps 5 of these in the past four years and none had the scabbard that is discribed by Mike Silvey in his book.. Perhaps Mike can tell me.
Thanks Kurt

SKIPH
11-10-2009, 07:03
Kurtflys-I always thought that the one in Silvey's book was the only type issued too. It might have boiled down to what was available. You probably stumbled onto something. Cool! SKIP

kurtflys
11-12-2009, 07:20
I have talked to Mike, and I think I recall his agreeing that other scabbards were used? Did you know that Mike makes knives also? Pretty nice knives.

Charlie Flick
11-15-2009, 02:58
Kurt:

I suspect that there were a couple of variations in the sheaths for these Marine knives. Here is a period photo from my archives (via Camopara) of a "Paramarine" in training wearing his Western. That one looks to me like the one piece version.

Is the knife you pictured yours? It is a beauty.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

kurtflys
11-15-2009, 03:09
That looks right to me.

kurtflys
01-24-2012, 02:06
Anyone know what this is?