PDA

View Full Version : 1903 sniper on gunbroker, some people will buy anything

holdover
12-23-2011, 10:33
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=265479779

while surfing saw this, some people have an imagination, and some people have no clue what they are buying, the way the add is worded I'de say buyer beware, and boy will they be disappointed when they show it to someone who knows

cplnorton
12-23-2011, 10:47
Wow, I can't believe people are bidding on it.

A Gibbs is much cheaper and at least more correct than that.

Bill D
12-23-2011, 10:59
Only one bidder and he kept upping the bid until he found the reserve. Be glad there is only one guy bidding six times rather than five other guys as clueless as this one.

Marine A5 Sniper Rifle
12-23-2011, 12:03
There is nothing "sniper" about this rifle - nothing. On what basis is he bidding?

jt

holdover
12-23-2011, 01:49
"Springfield 1903 WWII sniper restored" "Rifle was restored by Deans Gun Restorations. Their receipt states "sniper" rifle. It will be given to the winning bidder as part of the auction. Here's your chance to finally obtain an authentic piece of American history." Pretty impressive marketing statements, even if they are false... BTW did you notice the holes for the Lyman 48 on the side of the rec...I guess for an aux sight in case the scope fails while on sniper duty! Like has already been said, a Gibbs would be a much better choice for a lot less

jgaynor
12-24-2011, 09:44
There is one interesting bit of information to come out this auction. I was unaware that Weaver manufactured scopes for Stith. Kind of makes sense with Weaver in El Paso and Stith in San Antonio.
The use of the the term "restoration" on this mixmaster hump job is a bit of a stretch though.

Regards,
Jim

LeagleEagle
12-25-2011, 03:34
It finally went for $1500, damn, I coulda put something like that together a lot cheaper!

chuckindenver
12-26-2011, 04:23
wounder if it gets sent back in the 3 day inspection period.

Peconga
12-31-2011, 04:20
Humpty Dumpty indeed!

Seller apparently forgot to mention that it was built on an "ultra-rare and desirable" "Low Number" receiver (LOL).

fkienast
12-31-2011, 05:00
Isn't serial number 285,506 the cut off for Rock Island Low numbered receivers?

Peconga
12-31-2011, 05:45
Isn't serial number 285,506 the cut off for Rock Island Low numbered receivers?

You are correct; My Bad! Serial number of 401577 so assumed it was a Springfielld (Low Number) not a very late Rock Island (High Number). I guess that makes it even more rare, as a gen-yoo-wine Rock Island Sniper Rifle, possibly used by Sgt. Alvin York on Guadalcanal :-)

BTW, that s/n would make it originally post-WW1 production assembled at Springfield Armory, using parts transferred from Rock Island. The highest Rock Island s/n was 430742 struck in July 1919.

Tom
01-02-2012, 08:19
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=265479779

while surfing saw this, some people have an imagination, and some people have no clue what they are buying, the way the add is worded I'de say buyer beware, and boy will they be disappointed when they show it to someone who knows

I have a couple of rich friends and I know how they think. I can sense from the single bidding, that this person is also rich and would have paid much more. They believe, and I understand them, that life is short and if something catches your eye, and you can afford it, you should have it and enjoy it. This person probably knows a lot about the 03, doesn't plan to shoot it and doesn't think of it as an investment. Lucky Guy.

Tom

Ralfus
01-14-2012, 03:47
There is one interesting bit of information to come out this auction. I was unaware that Weaver manufactured scopes for Stith. Kind of makes sense with Weaver in El Paso and Stith in San Antonio.
The use of the the term "restoration" on this mixmaster hump job is a bit of a stretch though.

Regards,
Jim
I have owned one of those S4 scopes and it was quality glass. It has only an elevation turret and the windage is controlled by the mounts. It was intended for stith mounting and highly desired among
Savage 99 collectors.

sherbs
02-23-2012, 03:11
Looked at the Auction to see if I could find the faults with the gun as an knowledge quiz. Besides finding some of the faults I also found no feedback from seller or buyer to each other? HMMMM!