PDA

View Full Version : fixed bale helmet

Joe Wagner
12-19-2011, 01:15
A question for the collectors. What is a fixed bale, front seam helmet and liner worth these days? On www.shopgoodwill.com is a helmet and liner. Auction #9102929. I don't collect helmets, but I'm curious. Right now its up to $99.97, is this high or low, or somewhere in the middle?
Thanks guys.

Joe Wagner
12-19-2011, 01:18
Forgot to mention, its got over 6 days to go. I sent them an email and asked about the bale and they sent me a picture of the bale and chin strap. Their pics on the auction suck.

thorin6
12-19-2011, 01:29
An unmarked, unnamed, fixed bale helmet with a set of original bar tacked chin staps with original paint (no noticable dents, and which should have a front seamed, stainless steel rim), along with a WWII liner with webbing intact, WWII sweat band and nape strap, and a leather chin strap, would go in the $200-300 range. Add legitimate unit markings, red crosses, etc. and price starts to go wildly up. If it's an airborne M-2 or M1C, prices can get into the thousands.
Hope this helps.

m1ashooter
12-19-2011, 05:17
I really need to see a picture to give you a guess.

Joe Wagner
12-20-2011, 07:07
The only pictures I know of are the ones in the auction, and the one they sent to my email. I haven't figured out how to get it from my email to here yet. Its not that detailed either, just shows the bale and the chin strap on the helmet, nothing of the liner.

thorin6
12-20-2011, 03:11
From looking at the pictures, it seems to be the real deal, falling in the $200-$300 range. I would like to see a better picture of the hardware on the chinstraps, both on the steel shell and on the liner. Other than that, the liner looks correct, as do the chin straps on the shell.
Just my opinion.