PDA

View Full Version : 1903a4 on gundbroker

wolfganggross
11-04-2009, 06:32
Asked on another board about this 1903a3 sniper, although its a a4 sniper. Was wondering opinions here since so many different views and opinions. After looking on other gun sales sites seems to be a good deal. What do we think about it here? Thanks wolf

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=9427923&oh=

chuckindenver
11-04-2009, 07:02
facts.
scope, covers and rings are not original.
rifle however is nice, early C stock hand cut bolt notch and handguard ring.
opinion.
over priced by about 1,000.00 in todays market.

Sunray
11-13-2009, 09:49
I'd bet it was assembled out of assorted parts. Might be an '03A4 barreled action, but the rest is contrived. Stock is mismatched and there's paint on the upper band and barrel. Mismatched receiver parts too.
A grand may be light, but $3600 is nuts.

jgaynor
11-14-2009, 09:02
This rifle has rebuild marks so by definition it is a "parts gun". The most obvious defect being the early magazine box/trigger guard.

As far as the scope goes the best information available (campbell) is that some 330 Scope-M.8's were used on very early A4's along with commercial 330C's. This rifle is not an early A4. However it generally accepted that when A4's were returned for C&R and placed in storage the scopes were separated. So it's not like that many, if any, A4's still have the scopes that Remington installed.

The scope caps are GI issue from the Korean war or post Korean war era.

Blued rings, if used at all would not have been used on a rifle this late in the production run. On the other hand the rings are maybe $50.- $75, problem.

The stock appear to be one of the early Springfield production, also probably a little late for this s/n. More than likely it was originally an earlier rifle and married to this action during the reuild.
The double strike of the inspectors cartouche bothers me a bit.

All in all, IMO this rifle is a pretty pretty routine rebuild. On the plus side the small metal parts (bands, tg, cutoff, bolt) have not been refinished (parkerized).

I don't think the "buy it now" price is outlandish. Worse rifles have sold on the CMP auction for $5,500~.

At any rate the market place should speak by the end of the day.

Regards,

Jim

rayg
11-15-2009, 05:31
A very well respected collector in the Netherlands has an 03A4 that was given to him by a farmer who found it in his barn after the US paratroopers who were involved in the fight on his property were captured. The rifle has an M8 scope. So the M-8 was used wartime. Ray

Mike Haas
11-22-2009, 08:25
This rifle has rebuild marks so by definition it is a "parts gun". The most obvious defect being the early magazine box/trigger guard.

As far as the scope goes the best information available (campbell) is that some 330 Scope-M.8's were used on very early A4's along with commercial 330C's. This rifle is not an early A4. However it generally accepted that when A4's were returned for C&R and placed in storage the scopes were separated. So it's not like that many, if any, A4's still have the scopes that Remington installed.

The scope caps are GI issue from the Korean war or post Korean war era.

Blued rings, if used at all would not have been used on a rifle this late in the production run. On the other hand the rings are maybe $50.- $75, problem.

The stock appear to be one of the early Springfield production, also probably a little late for this s/n. More than likely it was originally an earlier rifle and married to this action during the reuild.
The double strike of the inspectors cartouche bothers me a bit.

All in all, IMO this rifle is a pretty pretty routine rebuild. On the plus side the small metal parts (bands, tg, cutoff, bolt) have not been refinished (parkerized).

I don't think the "buy it now" price is outlandish. Worse rifles have sold on the CMP auction for $5,500~.

At any rate the market place should speak by the end of the day.

Regards,

Jim

I'm gonna agree with JimG on this one.