PDA

View Full Version : Firestone helmet liner Q

JB White
11-03-2011, 04:31
When did Firestone eliminate the front eyelet from their M1 liner production?

Thanks,

JB

thorin6
11-03-2011, 05:50
I'm not sure if Firestone was still making helmet liners during the Korean War, but the eyelet wasn't eliminated until after the Korean War.

JB White
11-03-2011, 06:27
That's exactly where I'm at. No eyelets in these liners and I'm under the impression Firestones contract ended in '45. The suspension is of the darker shade more known for the Korea era, but the Firestone stampings are what's throwing me.

JBinIll
11-03-2011, 08:45
Some info http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=112440

JB White
11-03-2011, 09:38
That's the liner. Chinstrap studs with leather strap and all. I didn't know Firestone was involved at that late a date. Thanks!

A bit of background: I don't focus on collecting helmets so my reference material is sorely lacking in that area. What happened is last week I was given a large box of misc. webbing & color guard equipment which had been in storage for decades. In the bottom of the box I discovered a stack of helmet liners. Six of them were these Firestones but a couple were Seamans with their original HBT suspensions and green buckle leather straps. I assumed all the liners were from the same era.

The color guard equipment has been cleaned already and will be donated to the local Boy Scouts. Some of the liners will find homes inside a couple of the pots I own. At least one will go inside the front seam fixed bale my son gave me a few years ago.
The rest...I dunno. I know of a few reenactors so perhaps they'll get something to work with. For now I'm getting a kick cleaning the stuff up and trying to figure out what I have. :)