PDA

View Full Version : U.S. 1917 8 knuckle fighting knife

williamcolt
11-02-2011, 01:08
I have an original 8 knuckle U.S. fighting knife in excellent condition excerpt that it has no sheath. I want to sell it but have a problem. My research tells me that it is very rare but I can't find anywhere where one actually sold so I can get some idea what it is worth. I saw one listed on Gun Broker with a case and drew a bid of about 750 dollars but did not meet the reserve. I would like to get additional info about this knife, especially what it might be worth. Thanks in advance for any help.

m1ashooter
11-02-2011, 04:02
Go to this link. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19412&st=0

There are people there that can help.

williamcolt
11-04-2011, 04:44
Thanks for the help. I am headed over there.

rayg
11-05-2011, 04:43
Here's a direct link to the knife thread there, Ray
http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showforum=8

RLDARMSTR
11-05-2011, 05:10
I have been watching that knife on GB also. The seller also has a Krag Bowie Bayonet for sale on there. Both items have been there for some time. He obviously is wanting more than the market will bare, at this time. I believe I saw the bids get up to the $1500 range one time, on the trench knife, and that didn't break his reserve. I suspect he is probably wanting something in the $2000 or above range for that set.

I don't have a problem paying for something that is a bit on the pricey side but it seems that many people are holding the pre-2008 prices which I think most collectors will agree were inflated.

I've seen the more common 1917 trench knives (with scabbards) go from $400 to almost $700. Scabbards can account for several hundred dollars by themselves depending on condition.

Depending on how bad you need the money and how generous you can afford to be to any prospective buyers, I would think that $750 -$1000 would be a very sellable price range (without scabbard). If you push the price up to $1200 - $1500 I think you may wait a while.

Just so everybody reading this understands that I am not trying to prime the pump here; the $750 price is actually out of my price range, at this time, even for a rare itme like this. And I would really like to ad one of these to my collection, if I could. The money just isn't there for me right now. Real Estate Taxes in Illinois are a bloody killer!

Good luck on your sale!

Robert

williamcolt
11-06-2011, 04:37
Thanks for the very helpful info. I saw the 8 knuckle knife being offered on GB and contacted the seller who told his reserve was about 1800 dollars if I remember correctly. I am thinking of selling mine for something like 600 dollars as I don't collect knives and would like to put the money in things of more interest to me.