PDA

View Full Version : M1905 RIA Type 1 & 2 Bluing

wsfbernie
10-26-2011, 02:20
Page 325 of Poyer's book shows no bluing on the base of the blade. Other books do. I have
early SA bayos that have the bluing about 1/4" onto the blade, the rest of the blade being
arsenal polish white. Did the RIA bayo blades get completely finished in white (making them
the only ones of that type) or did they have that 1/4" or so of blue? A 1906 RIA bayo I have
(appears almost mint, if not) does not have any "strip" bluing. Any insight, or should I have
posted this on the M1903 forum?

dave
10-26-2011, 07:05
I have a 1906 dated RIA that has the blue strip but only about a 1/8" wide. All the blades I have examined, the blue strip varies widely in width on both RIA and SA blades.

wsfbernie
10-26-2011, 03:01
That makes sense and is in line with everything I've seen, too. I know that there are some
flaws in any book, but that one picture threw me because I could not see any bluing line.

Bayonetman
10-26-2011, 05:18
The "line of blue" on Rock Island production tends to vary more than Springfield, and also tends to be quite narrow. I have seen a few that the blue basically ends at the guard, with practically none on the blade.

I have added a few notes on the Model 1905 bayonet on Bayonet Points. For those that might be interested, see http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayo_points_42.htm

Emri
10-26-2011, 07:50
"Poyer's book"...................

Throw it in the garbage. It has caused no end to peoples problems, i.e.- " is this a type 1 or a type 2 part?" There are certain features of parts on a M1903 that pertain to certain time periods. There are NO "types". That is something he imagined in his mind and put it into print.

Looks like you got good info on your specific bayonet question; but yes, ask M1903 questions on that forum, even if it is about a bayonet. They seem to hang out there and not cross-over to other forums.

FWIW,

Emri