PDA

View Full Version : 1917 holster help please

freimuth
10-22-2011, 07:44
have a G&K 1917 J.A.O. holster that I can't seem to find a picture or value for anywhere on the web. US stamp on front, with "closure pin" in the center. most are on the side it seems. it also has a rivet attachment on back for belt and at the top of this piece is a cloth material belt loop looking thing - light beige hooked on it? this is the detail I've not been able to find out here, like a canvas material??
any help would be appreciated

Dan Shapiro
10-22-2011, 09:27
Here's a Goggle Image search result. Click on the picture you want for more info on the site that posted it.

http://images.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1024&bih=604&q=G%26K+1917+J.A.O.+holster&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&oq=G%26K+1917+J.A.O.+holster&aq=f&aqi=&aql=1&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=2654l2654l0l4284l1l1l0l0l0l0l87l87l1l1l0

Johnny P
10-22-2011, 08:16
Do you have a Model 1916 holster for the Model 1911 pistol, or a holster for the Model 1917 revolver? Sounds like you have a Model 1916 holster with a canvas belt slide. The belt slides were made for belts that did not have the grommets/eyes for the hanger on the holster or other equipment.

This is a canvas belt slide on a Model 1910 Garrison Belt which has no eyes for hanging equipment.

http://i55.tinypic.com/1o12tw.jpg

Johnny P
10-24-2011, 11:45
Hate it when I ask those questions that are too difficult to respond to.

freimuth
11-15-2011, 08:41
Johnny P.
SO SORRY about the LONG response time! (Hate it when I ask those questions that are too difficult to respond to.) Our basement flooded. STILL not done, (endless) however we were insured and ended up with twice the PC for half estimate value.
I do THANK -YOU for replying!
I'm new to boards and such and will try to attacch some photos.
(Model 1916 holster for the Model 1911 pistol, or a holster for the Model 1917 revolver?)
Greek to me, haven't the slightest. Figured somebody out here might know... I see 1916 and 1918 JAO for G&K for not a mention of this JAO fella for 1917?? Thought it might be rare.
THANKS again and SORRY about getting back so late!
Jeff

Johnny P
11-16-2011, 06:26
It is a Model 1916 holster for the Model 1911 pistol with a canvas belt slide to go on a belt with no eyes for equipment attachment. The stud for closing the flap is just where it should be. Appears to have been dyed black at some time, as original color was russet.

freimuth
11-16-2011, 09:33
WOW!
THANKS for such a fast response!
Looks like I found the right guy!! BUT how the heck? It says 17, can't find a 16, would have never figured it out on my own... Is it worth anything or should I just put it back up as a "decoration" in the mancave?
Some "1917" holsters I see out here say WW1, some WW2. Any idea? It also has HATCH written on inside in what appears to be a branding iron look and handwritten G.A HATCH handwritten - any databases of sevice personnel I could cross reference that you know of??
Have split thoughts on keeping, selling, or maybe even locating his family to return it to. Shame is now I REALLY do NEED any money I can find due to recent disaster, but then would like it if someone found some of my family history and returned it...
oh what to do, what to do...
THANKS AGAIN! VERY MUCH APPRECIATED
jeffro

freimuth
11-16-2011, 09:38
Dan,
Sorry I couldn't thank you earlier for your response. Getting closer!!
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
Jeffro

Johnny P
11-16-2011, 10:32
It is a Model 1916 holster (first made in 1916), and the 1917 is the date of manufacture of your holster.
The holsters were used until they were no longer serviceable, so may have also made WWII, Korea, and maybe even Vietnam. No way of knowing when someone personalized it, and could have been after it left the military. I don't recommend carrying or storing pistols in old holsters, so I would just use it as a decoration.

freimuth
11-17-2011, 07:09
THANKS again Johnny!
Never crossed my mind that it could have been personalized by someone AFTER... Guess I'll never actually know. Thanks to you I do know it was REALLY made in 1917. Just that fact is cool, I own an authentic holster from WW1! And to think of the other wars in could have possibly been in. If it could only talk, the stories it might tell!!
With the original color "russett" (the tannish ones I see?) and it have been blackened I would imagine that would eliminate any real value among active collectors of this holster? Not being a "collector" I would imagine it's value dropped like a old corvette with an impala motor after it was stained? If you don't mind me asking, care to put any "ball park" estimate on what I could sell it for? And if I did sell, ebay?, put it on this site?, or is there a well trafficked website that "everyone serious" goes to?
I'm still undecided on its fate. KNOWING it's 1917 has me leaning toward keeping in cave with a "fact card" under it. Like who JAO actually was, some G&K history, how many made, etc... Other than the "fully aftermarketed" 1022 (really cool looking!) it's the holster that catches my buds eyes. Opinions split, especially the actually made IN 1917 and used in WW1 debate. Finally can set them straight, thanks to you!
This know nothing novice REALLY appreciates all your help! How nice of you to stop and take the time...
Hope all is well with you and yours,
Jeffro