PDA

View Full Version : 7.65 Argentine Mauser

John D.Kopke
10-19-2011, 02:41
Hello More Knowledgeable than I Board Members;
I am the Proud owner of a Built in Berlin Argentine Mauser, that reflects the Old Time Workmanship of Germany, a true thing of Beauty.
Can the 7.65 be converted to 30.06 ??????

Thanks for any Suggestions;

john USCG 1961-1967- Bay of Pigs Yacht Club Member.

RCS
10-19-2011, 03:33
Such a bubba conversion will ruin any collector value. You will have to rework the magazine if you have the 1909. If you need something to hunt with, there are alot of nice used hunting rifles around, Why destroy all the workmanship to make a bubba conversion and end up with junk

Marine A5 Sniper Rifle
10-19-2011, 04:02
The 7.65 mm is a deadly killer. I use one occasionally, and it will drop a buck like lightening. Why would you want to convert it?

jt

RetiredArmy
10-19-2011, 04:56
Both loaded ammo and components are readily available for the 7.65 Argentine.

RA

kcw
10-19-2011, 07:45
Back in the 60's K-Mart sold Argentine mausers, still in GI configuration, that were chamber reamed out to 30.06. As might be expected accuracy was marginal at best due to the bore size. My dad bought one on a whim when he got it for half price because the stock was cracked at the wrist. My introduction to reloading shortly followed when a $10 Lee Loader kit showed up. The answer to the accuracy problem was solved by stuffing a .311 bullet into the neck sized 06' case. With a modest charge of 4350 it was something of a tack driver @ 100yds. In recent years I've heard it said that using the .311 bullet is potentially dangerous in that conversion but we never saw any evidence of it in the fired brass.
But that was yesterday. With reloading components so available there's no need to convert. I think you can even find commerical soft point loaded ammo if you look around.

Art
10-19-2011, 08:08
It's your property and of course you may do what you wish with it but I agree with the general consensus. These rifles in good condition have become very collectable. The cartridge itself is fine for deer. In fact it's fine for anything in North America except the big bears. The best advice is to leave it alone for all of the reasons mentioned above. The ammo is on the pricey side but because commercial bullets for it also were designed with the .303 British, 7.7mm Jap and 7.62x54r Russian in mind there are lots of projectiles that will produce excellent results should you reload.

Tuna
10-20-2011, 07:17
It also depends on which model Mauser you have. An 1891 should not be converted. A 1909 yes you can but as stated before why? It really is a waste of money to convert it as the cartridge is a very good one in the same league with the .308. The cost of the conversion can be used to buy a lot of ammo for it and now that PRVI is making ammo for it the price is much lower then buying Norma made ammo.

Dave in NGA
10-20-2011, 08:43
Graf and Sons has the PRVI ammo for sale from $16 per box. Good ammo and great brass for reloading. Why change calibers?

da gimp
10-20-2011, 12:00
lodge bro just unherited a very nice one, but has a 1" square of blue missing from the top of the receiver's front ring, other than that, is above NRA exc in condition. What was removed?

gwp
10-20-2011, 01:10
What was removed? The Argentine Crest.

randy langford
10-20-2011, 03:09
Most of the 1891 Arg. rifles had their crest polished off the the carbines did not I have a Calvary carbine that is a tack driver as everyone has said no need to change caliber the 7.65 was ahead of its time power is close to 308 any way Privi Partisan is avalible and no higher than 30-06

John D.Kopke
10-20-2011, 05:56
Hello Board Members;

Thank You all for the wisdom and Advice, I will leave it as is and seek non corrosive Ammo.
It is a very Beautiful Rifle.

John USCG 1961-1967.

Marine A5 Sniper Rifle
10-21-2011, 06:14
Most of the 1891 Arg. rifles had their crest polished off the the carbines did not I have a Calvary carbine that is a tack driver as everyone has said no need to change caliber the 7.65 was ahead of its time power is close to 308 any way Privi Partisan is avalible and no higher than 30-06

I have several crested 91 rifles and carbines. I have one of those engineer carbines also. Beautiful little rifle.

jt

older than dirt
10-21-2011, 08:05
Marine A5 Sniper, not to jack this topic, but how is Rosie doing these days? Is the chechering finished yet?

Marine A5 Sniper Rifle
10-22-2011, 06:59
Old Rosey is doing great, and I do need to catch up on my posts. I have not checkered her yet because I have been spending the last days of good weather doing restoration on my 57 T'Bird. I have gathered up all the tools and my stock holder. It will be soon.

jt

Dave in NGA
10-22-2011, 02:30
The Argentine Mausers are great, just as they are. I bought my first some forty years ago when they were selling for $29 each. I remember them coming packaged as a group in a cardboard barrel and it was a 'take your pick' sort of thing. My first was the '91 carbine and ammo was $05 each packaged loose in a wooden ammo crate. Since then I have acquired a '91 rifle in excellent shape but with the crest removed. This came from a 'black rifle' dealer in Atlanta who had no interest in this trade-in and let it go for $200 (in 2010). Other Argentines I've owned include the '98-09 carbine. Kind of hard to find those with good bores. The rifle version of the 98-09 has so far eluded me. When I see them they are usually in near new condition. The next one I come across, for sale, will be going home with me. The PRVI ammo is every bit the equivalent of 308 Winchester in power and performance. Other than the .311 bore diameter, this is a great cartridge.