PDA

View Full Version : WW I leggings

Hecklerusp45
10-15-2011, 05:45
Ran into these the other day at a flea market. The seller said they were WWI leggings, but they don't look that old to me. I did not get them, instead snapped a pic for later ID. What do you guys think, could they be WWI or are they repo?127011270212703

JBinIll
10-15-2011, 09:17
Those don't look like any std. U.S. pattern leggings.They way they are made at the top would lead me to suspect they are possibly a private purchase type or like those sold in sporting goods catalogs of the WW1 period for hunters. Is the back side of the leggings leather lined,can't tell from your pictures?

Hecklerusp45
10-15-2011, 02:54
The first and third pictures are the outside, the middle picture is the inside. There is no leather inside or out that I noticed. The seller was asking $20, but if they are not USGI they are worth nothing to me. What do you think? Could they be GI?

JBinIll
10-15-2011, 03:20
The first and third pictures are the outside, the middle picture is the inside. There is no leather inside or out that I noticed. The seller was asking $20, but if they are not USGI they are worth nothing to me. What do you think? Could they be GI?

Personally I'd pass.Leggings aren't that hard to find and those don't look like and aren't marked like issue leggings.Issue leggings usually are maker marked.

thorin6
10-16-2011, 07:56
I have seen GI leggings with the leather straps, but I don't think they were WWI (maybe between the wars). They could very well be private purchase, but without any evidence, hard to prove. The leggings worn overseas in 1917 tended to have a single strap that encircled the legging from bottom to top; not the interwoven lace. Once in the trenches the enlisted, and most junior officer, used puttees like the British (long strip of wool cloth wrapped from bottom to top of the calf) as they kept the mud out better than the leggings. Field grade and higher officers tended to wear leather leggings, most of which were private purchase, or boots that reached over the calf.

Sean P Gilday
10-16-2011, 04:59
M1938 Dismounted Leggings used a canvas foot strap not a leather one.

M1917 Dismounted Leggings and USMC WWI leggings DID use the leather foot strap

SOURCES:
http://www.aef-doughboys.com/leggings.html

JBinIll
10-16-2011, 06:44
If you look at the first picture,it doesn't show well but the top of the legging,the front is a lot higher than the back.Plus it has contrasting edging on the top and bottom and the number of lacing holes compared to std. issue is different.Hunter's leggings.