PDA

View Full Version : Mauser purchase sources

tmark
10-11-2011, 07:49
I'd like to own a K98 German Mauser. What sources do you experts know where I can bet a nice Mauser at a reasonable price?

gwp
10-12-2011, 06:22
If the rebuilt Russian capture (mixed parts and forced matched (renumbered bolts)) 98Ks are alright with you those are available at:

$360
http://www.keepshooting.com/german-mauser-k98-rifle.html (Out of Stock)

$395
http://www.jamesriverarmory.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_new.tpl&product_id=176&category_id=31&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1 (Two Remaining)

dave
10-12-2011, 07:06
If you want a collector grade original K98k you will pay from 7-800 on up into four figures, depending on condition, maker and year of manufacture. Early ones from the 30's usually bring the most, there are some exceptions. The Russian captures are good shooters, for the most part but are not collector guns. Altho a rather large and interesting collection could be built on them, thay are what they are. Stay away from Mitchells Mauser, they are just prettied up RC's for 2 times the money. Gun shows are your best bet altho that may take awhile. If you are looking for matched collector rifle you had better do some study before laying out a large amount of money, lots of minor and major faking going on wth all things WW11 German! Most every little part of these rifles are serialed and/or have inspector codes which should be correct for maker and time period. Quite complicated. Internet may be another soruce.

tmark
10-12-2011, 07:22
Thanks, gentlemen! I do have the book BACKBONE OF THE WEIRMACHT (sp) which supplies data sheets as to what should be what on the various years of production and manufacturer. I passed one up at a gun show because the low sn rifle had late manufacturer parts that were stamped and not milled telling me that rifle was put together with parts and not original as claimed by the vendor. I've done my homework and know how to do extra credit when it comes to these things but surely don't know it all. That's why I ask you all.

dave
10-15-2011, 11:51
Did the serial numbers match on the rifle you passed on? What was the reciever date? It could be a late production rifle and have a low serial number. Serial numbers were started over from # 0001 at the beginning of each year, 0001 thru 9999 and then to 0001a thru 9999a and so on on thru the letters.(some letters were not used) So a 1944 rifle could have a serial of 245. This was at each manufacturer so Mauser and Gustoff would have duplicate serial numbers in a given year, along with other makers. Late rifles had serials omitted on many minor parts. Go back to your books! By the way BotW data sheets show many variations but not neccessarily all of them, especially in transitional years. Determining originallty of K98k's is probably one of the most complicated of collector rifles, along with japs. You must know the code, years code was used, date, inspector stamps, and where that inspector was stationed in different years and districts.

tmark
10-15-2011, 07:48
Thanks, Dave! The sn did match on bolt, barrel, and receiver but no sn were on both bands. I don't remember if sn was stamped on the floor plate. I do recall that the upper band and lower band as well as floor plate were of the stamped kind and not milled as the book said. The rifle in question had a lower sn than that of the low sn in the book's data sheet which said the aforementioned stamped parts should be milled. The rifle receiver is stamped bfy 1944. The stock had no markings on it and probably was sanded. $950 seemed a lot for a rifle whose originality was in question. I do remember the sn is three digits with no letter after it.

dave
11-15-2011, 09:49
Those data sheets are of reported hi/lo serial numbers. They do not mean there could not be a higher or lower number. Most of the rifles shown in that book are from one collection and they do not all match. The guy collected codes/ code variations. I have a byf 44 which is new condition and matched, 5 degit serial with a letter. The one you saw was a very early one of the first run of 99,999 (or 100,000 or they did not go to 5 degits till later, like they dropped serial on barrel on mine. The only serial numbers are on the bolt, 2 bolt parts, reciever, not barrel or stock, it is as you describe, stamped parts, un-numberd. 1944 was a transition year, many changes made to speed production. I think you passed on what was most likely a matched/correct rifle. The later part of the war they quite being so anal with numbering, they needed rifles fast!