PDA

View Full Version : Looking for USMC Kbar

Hecklerusp45
10-10-2011, 10:23
I would like to get my son a USMC kbar for christmas. I have seen them for sale at several shops, but he says he wants one that was a "real" USMC issue knife and not one sold on the civilian market. Anyone know where to look? I don't want something rare or really old because I will have to pay an arm and a leg. Just want the best price on a military issue blade. Any suggestions?

thorin6
10-10-2011, 11:45
Do you want the name "KA-BAR" to be on the knife? If so, and you want a "real" issued knife, it will have to be a WWII USMC knife, and with a sheath will cost around $100, give or take $25. Ka-bar (Union Cutlery) only made issued knives during WWII. The later knives (post-Viet Nam era) that are marked "KA-BAR" are not issued, but many Marines and Soldiers bought them and carried them. If you want a Mark 2 (which looks like the "KA-BAR" marked knives) that was issued to both the Marines and Sailors (and even Soldiers could get them), then you are looking at a better deal. These will be marked US over the makers name: CAMILLUS, NY; UTCUTCO; CONETTA; or ONTARIO. The first three would be Viet Nam vintage, the last (ONTARIO) would be post-Viet Nam, and you can find these ranging in price from $40 to $60 or so. I can post pictures of all of those if you need to see them, and you have to pay particularly attention for the scabbards; if they are marked with the Marines EGA symbot (Eagle, Globe, Anchor), they are not military issue.

amber
10-10-2011, 12:07
I would like to get my son a USMC kbar for christmas. I have seen them for sale at several shops, but he says he wants one that was a "real" USMC issue knife and not one sold on the civilian market. Anyone know where to look? I don't want something rare or really old because I will have to pay an arm and a leg. Just want the best price on a military issue blade. Any suggestions?

Try eBay, really nice Ka-Bar WW II knives can usually be found for under $250.00 with a nice scabbard.

Hecklerusp45
10-10-2011, 05:03
Do you want the name "KA-BAR" to be on the knife? If so, and you want a "real" issued knife, it will have to be a WWII USMC knife, and with a sheath will cost around $100, give or take $25. Ka-bar (Union Cutlery) only made issued knives during WWII. The later knives (post-Viet Nam era) that are marked "KA-BAR" are not issued, but many Marines and Soldiers bought them and carried them. If you want a Mark 2 (which looks like the "KA-BAR" marked knives) that was issued to both the Marines and Sailors (and even Soldiers could get them), then you are looking at a better deal. These will be marked US over the makers name: CAMILLUS, NY; UTCUTCO; CONETTA; or ONTARIO. The first three would be Viet Nam vintage, the last (ONTARIO) would be post-Viet Nam, and you can find these ranging in price from $40 to $60 or so. I can post pictures of all of those if you need to see them, and you have to pay particularly attention for the scabbards; if they are marked with the Marines EGA symbot (Eagle, Globe, Anchor), they are not military issue.

Thanks for all of the great info. Now I know what to look for.

m1ashooter
10-10-2011, 07:21
Here is a rare PAL Kabar

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-WWII-USMC-US-Marine-Corps-PAL-Fighting-Knife-Kabar-Red-Spacer-VG-/110755667781?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item19c98d5f45