PDA

View Full Version : Vietnam Winchester Model 70 w/ Bushnell 3x9 Scope Chief question?

Pvt.Joker
09-30-2011, 09:09
Hi. I've read through some of the posts here discussing the Winchester Model 70 standard rifles that were used in the early stages of the Vietnam war sniping program with Bushnell Scope Chief 3x9 Command Post scopes. What I haven't seen discussed is what brand/model mount(s) were used on these rifles to mount these scopes? Anyone know? I've got a 1962 Winchester Model 70 standard .30-06 in nice condition and just picked up a Bushnell Scope Chief 3x9 Command Post scope, but I am not sure of which mount to use to set up one of these as it would have been back then. Thanks.

Critch
10-04-2011, 07:12
I've only seen pictures of the USMC Win70s with an 8X Unertil scope, but I'm not an expert. My best guess, if they did wear a Redfield over there would be the one-piece Redfield base with turn in rings. You can get these in matte at Midway-USA or Cabelas.....

jgaynor
10-05-2011, 01:05
In the early days of Vietnam the main sniping rifles used by the USMC were the M1D, and various Model 70s. Some of the 70's had the Unertl Target scopes and some were equipped with a Japanese Manufactured 3x9 variable "Marine Scope". Not suggesting the Busnell was never used but can't find any reference to it. The "Marine Scope" used a two piece mount. The only photos i have are half tone reproductions so the detail is kind of indistinct.

Beginning in the second part of 1966 the hodge podge of Model 70's and M1D's was replaced with the Remington 700 and Redfield Accurange 3x9 Variable. The base used was the one-piece Redfield Jr and the rings were also Redfield.

Regards,
Jim

Pvt.Joker
10-06-2011, 02:53
Thanks, Jim and Critch.

Bsully
10-13-2011, 04:47
Pachmeyer Lo-Swing mounts ought to go well with a Bushnell that has the Command Post reticle. Model 70 only- AFAIK.