PDA

View Full Version : How keep rust from forming..

jjrothWA
09-22-2011, 10:45
on knife blades, inside the scabbard???

Have mid-60's USMC Kbar and late 90's Pilot knife, though the blades are oiled, rust keeps forming.

Have cleaned and applied silicone grease (for fishing reels) and wrapped with wax paper, put back in scabbards.

Anything else to try????

Thanks.

Bayonetman
09-22-2011, 12:12
Although what you did will help, this is the main reason I do not store my knives in their sheathes. Leather often holds dampness and will cause the blade to rust unless if is cleaned and oiled regularly.

jjrothWA
09-30-2011, 06:41
Did take the Pilot knife & sheath out and silicone sprayed the handle and sheath. Hopefully that will minimize the situation.

Any ideas what to do with the Kbar?

Dan Shapiro
09-30-2011, 08:03
Have you tired Renaissance Wax? Heat the wax, dip the blade in, withdraw and allow to cool. A thin coat of wax will be left on the blade. I'm told they use it at the WWII museum in New Orleans. Not exactly the driest place in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Wax

amber
09-30-2011, 09:55
I've used RIG Rust Inhibitor Grease for at least 20 years with no rust issues. A thin coat of it does the job for me. As Bayonetman says, store them out of the scabbard. That wax idea looks good too. About 40 years ago, there was a small gunshop not too far away that sold their "home brew" rust protector. It was called Whit's Protection Oil. It was great stuff. It appeared to be a combination of oil and beeswax. Had a GREAT smell. I used it on my Browning A-5. A year after you applied it, you could lightly take your finger and make a swirel on the treated surface. I miss that stuff and of course Whit is long deceased.

Johnny P
10-01-2011, 06:58
As with pistols, best not to store in leather holster or sheath.

If you must, LPS 3 is as good as you can use. LPS 3 has wax in suspension, and when the carrier evaporates it leave a wax film on the metal

dave
10-01-2011, 08:11
Sounds like the leather has moisture in it and using all the leather preps will only seal it in. Put them in a dry area to dry, may take a long time. Do not store in a confined box or other area that connot 'breath'. My knives and bayos are displayed hanging on the wall in gun room, in the sheaths and scabards, no particular upkeep except maybe some Rig when I first get them. No problems with rusting.

John Sukey
10-02-2011, 01:04
Move to Arizona;)
Oh, and have airconditioning instead of an evaporative cooler!