PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do a Swede M96 scope mount?

Liam
09-17-2011, 11:21
Would like to use my M96 for some extended range work on the farm. Contemplating one of those mounts (SKB, Accumount, etc.) that you use a long eye relief scope with ("Scout" configuration, I think). Don't want to change permanently my rifle's configuration, so the after market drill & tap versions are out. Can get a 2-7x variable LER scope cheap. Anyone hit any pitfalls in their conversions?

leecork
09-18-2011, 06:26
I own and shoot a number of Swedish rifles, including M96s, M94s and M38s. I have put scopes on
some of them. The scope mounts replace the rear sight ladders and are easy to install. For me, they have worked well, and the rifle can quickly be returned to original condition. Also, I am using inexpensive 2X7 LER scopes. They are doing their job OK, but I wish I could find better scopes at a reasonable price.

These Swede rifles and the 6.5 X 55 cartridge are great. I very much prefer to shoot them over most of my other Mausers.

Liam
09-19-2011, 03:14
Went ahead and ordered a Sun Optics 2-7x scout scope, M96 mount and Warne Quick Detach Rings. I'll try the set-up ASAP and maybe post a pic. Cheers.

Liam
10-01-2011, 07:55
Follow-up: Hex screws provided with the SunOptics M96 mount would not quite reach the retaining plate intended to hold the mount to the sight ladder. Since my local Home Depot did not have hex screws that small (needed longer ones), I opted to simply drill out the actual mount holes so the screws would sit lower. Mount is aluminum, so this was easily done on my drill press. Disappointed that SunOptics seems to hide where their scopes are made. I saw no markings whatsoever on the scope itself. I Googled the subject and suspect they are of Chinese manufacture. For less than $80 for a 2-7 variable what does one expect! The scope had fairly clear optics, and adjusted from 2-7 with no loss of accuracy. I changed the configuration of my milsurp for less than $150, so I'm happy with the result. 7x long relief scope was pushing it for 150+ yard shots, I think. Perhaps that's because I am used to my 24x scope on my .22-250. It does, however, allow my Swede to be handy from ranges between 25-100 yards. Even had a headshot with my Nosler Ballistic Tips at over 100 yards. The Warne Quick Release mounts are sturdy as expected and are well-worth the $52/pair I paid.