PDA

View Full Version : VZ 24 Questions

Fishnerd
10-29-2009, 09:47
I recently purchased a CZ Brno VZ24 at auction. Other than stock dings, it is borderline "museum condition", without import marks, all numbers match, canvas type sling and is serial number "512". For what I paid ($150) this seems a little too good to be true, and I am wondering if I am missing something here. Please let me know what I should be looking for.
I know I will have to take some pictures for a better description with more details.

dave
10-29-2009, 10:21
You have to describe all markings, crests, date on reciever top (if any), full serial number, and what is on side rail. Serial number should appear on reciever, barrel, bolt and stock. They should all be the same. Thousands of these rifles were re-built after the war by several countries, so "border line museum condition" is not un-common. It is originality that matters. 150 is about average for re-built VZ-24's. Canvas sling would not be original. Pictures would help, of the details I mentioned.

Fishnerd
10-29-2009, 12:02
I'll take pics tonight and upload them.
My receiver, bolt, barrel, barrel bands, stock, etc. are all sn #512
There are no numbers with the crest on the top of my receiver.
This isn't my rifle, but has the same crest.

thommygun
10-30-2009, 06:37
From what you wrote about your vz 24 it sounds all very good. The fact that all important parts have an identical serial number may indicate that the rifle was stored and maintained carefully. Check if you find some old stamps; sometimes parts from other rifles were used for repair an then re-stamped to have a rifle with matching serial number. Does the rifle still has its original cleaning rod and front sight protector? These items were very often removed and sold seperately. Keep in mind a cleaning rod for a vz 24 is NOT identical to the cleaning rod for the K98 and therefore a hard-to-find item. The gun sling might be original since the czech army used old stocks from the former Austrian-Hungarian Empire. The sling could be 'ersatz', made of canvas in lack of leather. This might be interesting for you as well: 'vz' is short for 'vzor' and means 'model'; The stamping on the receiver 'Československá zbrojovka Brno' means 'Czechoslovakian Arms Factory Brunn'. Would be nice to see some pics of your rifle.

dave
10-30-2009, 07:08
VZ-24's only had 4 parts serialed. The fact that bands are numbered indicate a re-build, possibly by Germans in WW11. Really need more info and pic's to tell anything for sure. Rifle pictured above is an import!

Fishnerd
10-30-2009, 08:10
I was unable to get clear photos because of the glare from the flash. I'll have my wife take pics and post them soon.

Markings:
Serial # on receiver- 531 Z1
Serial # on stock- 531 over LK5 (smaller size)
Serial #'s on bolt, barrel band, front of trigger guard- 531

Above the receiver's serial #, in small font, there is "E--picture of a lion--28"
On the receiver, at the bolt carrier there is "VZ24"
There are no other markings on the rifle.

FYI- It was the only firearm at the estate auction, which had alot of WW2 souveniers- nazi propaganda, USA "surrender and we'll go easy on you" leaflets dropped from airplanes, etc. Interestingly enough, the attached bayonet was sold seperately and sold for more than the rifle itself.

Fishnerd
10-30-2009, 08:14
The picture I cut and pasted yesterday has the same crest as mine. Mine does not have the import marks seen at the bottom of the posted photo.
BTW- I'm really beating myself up that I couldn't use a simple digital camera without the flash going off. This would be so much easier with photos.

Fishnerd
10-30-2009, 08:28
This is a photo I found on the internet that matches my receiver markings. The yellow box in the photo is where the "E, picture of a lion, 28" appears on my receiver.

Jim K.
10-30-2009, 12:03
The 28 is the year of manufacture. It looks like a standard VZ-24.

The VZ-24, like the FN Model 1924, and the Mauser Standard Modell, was a commercial military arm. In other words, it was made for sale, not to individuals, but to countries which needed to supply their armies in the "breather" between the two world wars. IMHO, VZ-24 was the best, followed by the Standard Modell and the FN, which was not in fact a standard Mauser 98, being a short action (the Yugo 24/47 is an FN 1924, and the Model 48 is a copy).

The VZ-24, unlike the others, is a combination rifle, made with sling attachements for both infantry (bottom of stock) and cavalry (side of stock).

Serial numbers on those rifles do not necessarily reflect the production year; a customer (country) specified what serial range it wanted in its contract.

Jim

dave
11-01-2009, 08:06
The serial number on this rifle, 531 Z1 is unique to the Czeck military, not export rifles. This rifle is the 531 one made in the Z series. The 1 after the Z indicates this is the frist production cycle. The cycle started with 0001 A1 and will end with 9999 Z1 and continue with the next cycle 0001 A2 to 9999 Z2 and on and on. The E (lion) 28 indicates the rifle was adopted by the Czech miltary in 1928 at Brno. The serial number with the Z1 after the serial (rather then a prefix) indicates manufacture at Brno also. As I stated above VZ's had only four serial numbers, barrel, rec., stock, bolt. The fact that yours has many others added and that the bolt lacks the Z1 cycle number indicates a rebuild at some time with a replaced but numbered bolt, by another country. I would suspect German WW11 use as they added serials to various parts. IF the rifle has no import marks (as the one you pictured above does) and with the circumstances of your getting it, it could very well be a GI bringback WW11 rifle. Value would be 2x above the average re-built import being sold at present time. I think you got a very good deal.
PS; The stock mark of LK5 is a mystery to me and here too the serial should include the Z1.

Fishnerd
11-02-2009, 10:18
I have some decent pics here, but they make the rifle look pretty beat up.

Fishnerd
11-02-2009, 10:24
I took some decent pictures, although they don't show the true condition of the rifle.

thommygun
11-02-2009, 02:23
Okay, your rifle may has some scratches and dings but remember this rifle is probably eighty years old. The outer appearance is more or less secondary; look for 'intrinsic values'. If the bore is bright, crisp and shiny...what else do you want? The fancy appearance of a rifle is useless if it does not even hit a barn door.

dave
11-03-2009, 06:38
Side sling swivels have been removed, now I'm sure it is a German WW11 rework. By the way, the lower barrel band is on the wrong way, should be turned around, so swevil is on left of rifle. The swivel that went thru the pistol grip is also gone, hole filled with a plug, right? Nice find and very likly a WW11 bring back. Contact prvious owner and ask questions, get any such info in writing.

Fishnerd
11-03-2009, 11:16
Thanks for the info guys!
Dave, I'll check the rifle for what you suspect. Unfortunately, the previous owner is a deceased WW2 vet, and I purchased it at his estate sale. Based on all the WW2 goodies being auctioned off, I don't think anyone in his family gave a rat's a** about the sole rifle's history.

Fishnerd
11-04-2009, 07:21
Yup, the swivel is plugged with what appears to be a dowel rod.
I noticed that on the bolt there is a small lion (identical to the one on the receiver) on the "ball" of the bolt, but there is not a Z1 along with the serial number.

dave
11-05-2009, 09:11
The stock (no Z1) and bolt (same) probably were replacments during German rebuild. However they re-numbered them to match w/o the Z1. Very commen with German/Czech rebuilds. These rifles eventually turned into the new-built G.24(t) and then the factory was converted to K98k production.
The owner, being a WW11 vet, is good clue it is a bring back. If you could get some info on his service and when (europe during the war?, maybe family will remember he did bring it back?, get his name?) Its worth a shot, tho it would not be proof still nice to know! Those little lions are inspector stamps. The one on right front of reciever is firing proof.

coverga
04-06-2011, 06:18
I am looking at a VZ24, no import marks, Czech army proof acceptance E "lion" 26. SN xxxx I1. Bore is very good, wood is good, no corrosion, no counterbore, bluing very good. Top receiver marked CZECSLOVENSKA-ZBROJONKA-BRNO. Has old leather sling. Missing lower sling swivel, but swivel base and screws are in place. Bolt is blued and has same serial # as receiver but not "I1" suffix. Rear sight base stamped, front band stamped, barrel SN not looked at, stock is stamped with reciever number, disc appears undisturbed and is marked 31R-1902. Gun shop is very reputable, owner thinks is vet bringback. Any thoughts on value of this piece. Owner wants $550. Seems a bit high, but a very nice piece compared to the refurbished ones I have seen in the local shops for $250-$275.

jon_norstog
04-07-2011, 05:46
I am a former VZ-24 owner - mine was nowhere near as nice as the pictures above, but it was a very well-made rifle, no rust or pits, accurate and easy to get off follow-up shots. It had a lot of Cyrillic in the stampings, including marks from Krajina Arsenal, so it was a Yugo. I traded it to my brother for a Yamaha 650 a number of years ago and still kind of regret ...

jn

dave
04-13-2011, 11:04
I am looking at a VZ24, no import marks, Czech army proof acceptance E "lion" 26. SN xxxx I1. Bore is very good, wood is good, no corrosion, no counterbore, bluing very good. Top receiver marked CZECSLOVENSKA-ZBROJONKA-BRNO. Has old leather sling. Missing lower sling swivel, but swivel base and screws are in place. Bolt is blued and has same serial # as receiver but not "I1" suffix. Rear sight base stamped, front band stamped, barrel SN not looked at, stock is stamped with reciever number, disc appears undisturbed and is marked 31R-1902. Gun shop is very reputable, owner thinks is vet bringback. Any thoughts on value of this piece. Owner wants $550. Seems a bit high, but a very nice piece compared to the refurbished ones I have seen in the local shops for $250-$275.

Sounds like another German rework. Misc. placed xtra serail numbers, leaving the I1 off of serials on replaced parts, blue bolt, and early dated rifles, etc. You did not say the serial but I will guess--1902? The rifle was issued to the 31- something (the Czech unit identified by R has not been id'ed). The 1902 is the weapon number, many times this was same as serial. German modified Czech weapons are much in demand and bring more then average. It is a lil' high but a very nice rifle and disireable.. Offer 500, out the door, maybe you'll get a lil luckey

dave
04-24-2011, 12:07
The LK5 stamp reported by fishnerd on his rifle has been reported on several German used VZ rifles. My VZ-23 is so stamped. Speculation is it was police marking/issue.