PDA

View Full Version : Recommended scope for Remington M40 SSA

GA-Dave
09-08-2011, 04:44
I finally got a Remington M40 Scout-Sniper Association commemorative rifle.:banana100: (Thanks Nate)

What scope should I put on it? I seem to have a few options:
1. Original M40s had Refield Accu-Trac scopes with a range finder. The originals with the green finish are several thousand dollars. But I could get a black one for about $500.
2. When the commemorative rifles were made, Leupold had a run of 3x9 VXIIs with a green finish. I could try to find one of those, but they are hard to find.
3. Leupold custom shop will duplicate the special run for $399. This is probably my best bet. It will look close to the original, but will have modern scope quality.
4. Go with any other scope. This just offends my sensibilities. My M40 is a representative sample of the Vn era sniper and I'd like to get it close.

Any suggestions?

It would be nice if I could shoot vintage sniper matches with it.

Thanks,
Dave

Johnny in Texas
09-08-2011, 06:47
I put a black Redfield Accu-Range on mine it is the same as the USMC scope but is not marked as such. I see them on Ebay often. All the M40 Military scopes were not green some were black. Make sure you get the Med. plain cross wire reticule with the 200-600 range tomb stone.

Badgerord
09-08-2011, 07:12
The most desirable are the green but even the Marines had some replacements that were black.

All the Air Force Nam era scopes were black, I have 2 ABGD (Air Base Ground Defense) rifles that have Matte black scopes. So Black is not incorrect.

Marty
Badger Ordnance

Dan in NY
09-09-2011, 10:10
I have a commercial 3x9 power 2nd Generation AccuTrack I'd let go..It's like new, has the 200-600 tombstone, and still has remnants of the "AccuTrack" sticker on the bell. Probably a late 70's-early 80's scope..It has the widefield occular bell, but the objective is round. email me if interested..$250.00 shipped..3 day money back return, if not satisfied.....

ds1911@verizon.net

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v168/218bee/P1050049-1.jpg