PDA

View Full Version : 30 years ago today...

Michael Tompkins
09-05-2011, 07:45
I took my uniform off for the last time. Lots of memories of good times, good places and good friends never to be forgotten. Mike

Nick Riviezzo
09-05-2011, 11:59
Congrats Michael, was it retirement or end of watch? I retired 1 Feb 1986 Lord,where has the time gone? Bless you for your service,and thanks for being a comrade in arms. Nick

Michael Tompkins
09-06-2011, 12:42
Hi Nick,

It was the end of my 3 year enlistment. It was only recently that I realized how much of my person was impacted by my short time in the military. It's an experience I'll treasure til I die. BTW, no need to thank me for my service. I enlisted whole-heartedly. It was one big adventure to be experienced by a shy and naive 18 year-old from Kentucky.

Most of all of my platoon sergeants were Viet Nam vets. They were like Superman to me. I was always in awe of them and they will always be my heros. They did what they were asked to do in an unpopular war and they put themselves in harms way...as did you. You can't ask anymore than that. It's an honor to be your comrade in arms. Mike

phil441
09-06-2011, 09:27
My paltry four years in a USAF uniform transformed me from a rather naive kid in college trying to figure what I wanted to do with my life. AF gave me the Electronics training that sustained me until the day I retired. True, I was stationed at a few places that I didn't really care for, but what a small price to pay for the training that would sustain me for the rest of my working life......

Nick Riviezzo
09-07-2011, 05:24
Michael, Thanks for the kind words, but I, like you,enlisted/volunteered of my own free will for everything I got from my service. It may sound "bone headed' but I'm proud to say "I was an American Soldier".Up in the "guntalk" section there is a thread on what you want on your grave marker,Veteran or Christian. I want U.S.Cavalry Soldier on mine. Nick

SteveC
09-07-2011, 07:25
Mike, remind me please, where were you with the 3rd AD? I was in Friedberg with the 3rd Brigade, 3rd Support BN (previously C Co. 122nd Maintenance Bn.) from '84 to '86. I, like you, have found my time in Uncle Sugar's Service molded me into what I am today (which is a bit more than a large, gimpy lump of human flesh I hope - still serving God, Country, and Community with the local Sewer Authority).

Steve

Griff Murphey
09-07-2011, 11:02
Michael, thank you for your service and congrats.

36 years ago tomorrow (Sept. 8, 1975) my picture was in Pacific STARS AND STRIPES; we in BAS 1-4 were doing a medical and dental MEDCAP in the Zambales training area at Subic Bay. I just sent a copy to a college ROTC buddy and happened to notice the congruity of the dates!

Michael Tompkins
09-07-2011, 01:03
Mike, remind me please, where were you with the 3rd AD? I was in Friedberg with the 3rd Brigade, 3rd Support BN (previously C Co. 122nd Maintenance Bn.) from '84 to '86. I, like you, have found my time in Uncle Sugar's Service molded me into what I am today (which is a bit more than a large, gimpy lump of human flesh I hope - still serving God, Country, and Community with the local Sewer Authority).

Steve

Steve, I with 3rd Plt, 503rd MP Co at Ray Barracks in Friedberg as well. Our barracks were just inside the main gate to the right. 2/27 FA was just upstairs and we were downstairs with the MP station on one end close to the gate. Friedberg and Bad Nauheim were great cities to be stationed in...with a nice castle, roman ruins and watch towers to boot. Not to mention, a lot of cute german girls around as well. Ever visit Combat Alley? We were called there a lot on the weekends breaking up trouble and cleaning up the messes. Mike

Dan In Indiana
09-08-2011, 07:04
Did my 3 years with the Marines, wound up with 16 months at Mag 12 Comm at Chu Lai by the Sea fixing a lot of WW2 gear. Got out in January of '69, 42 years ago. Yup, the time flies real quick. Tet of '68 was loud!

SteveC
10-18-2011, 02:35
Steve, I with 3rd Plt, 503rd MP Co at Ray Barracks in Friedberg as well. Our barracks were just inside the main gate to the right. 2/27 FA was just upstairs and we were downstairs with the MP station on one end close to the gate. Friedberg and Bad Nauheim were great cities to be stationed in...with a nice castle, roman ruins and watch towers to boot. Not to mention, a lot of cute german girls around as well. Ever visit Combat Alley? We were called there a lot on the weekends breaking up trouble and cleaning up the messes. Mike

I'm sorry I missed your response Mike, I didn't catch it until today. I visited every place in Friedberg that my feet could carry me, which was pretty much the whole town! You are so right, it was an exceptional place to be stationed, and being there in the '80's, with Reagan as C-in-C made it all the better. Was there a Turk bar in "combat alley"? I remember right much trouble emanating from that place although I never had any trouble with them. Saw the aftermath one night of a fight some of our guys got into with the Turks. Our boys were quickly outnumbered and I think it was 4 of our guys left out on the cobblestone moaning - one of our guys almost lost his eye, it was physically knocked out of the socket in the fray, but the fine folks at the Krankenhaus were able to patch him up. I was with a fräulein that night, so once I was sure she was safe, I went back to try to help the guys. German paramedics and polizei were there by the time I got back, then the MP's showed up just a few minutes later. I remember one of those MP's was flipping HUGE, I'm 6'1", and he towered over me. Any way, the girl and I spent several hours after the incident giving affidavits(sp?) as to what we saw, which was basically nothing but the Turks running after they had clobbered our guys... I got hauled in to the post CSM's office the following Monday, he asked why I didn't help our guys out and it took a lot of explaining to get across to him that all our guys were down and the Turks were running by the time I walked out of the bar below where the melee had occurred. I finally convinced him I couldn't have caught and kicked the butts of probably 15 Turks so he let me off the hook with no further action. He seemed determined I could have helped but I was equally determined to make him understand my main concern that night was Sabine's safety...

I hadn't thought about that incident in MANY moons...

blackhawknj
10-19-2011, 01:05
It's beene 40 years since I left Active Duty--Army, 1967-1971, E-5. Retired from the Reserves as an LTC in 1998. Tried to visit Fort Dix in 1997 on the 40th Anniversary of my graduating BCT but the place was locked up tighter than a drum.