PDA

View Full Version : German Mauser Question

tmark
08-29-2011, 08:05
I am interested in acquiring a WWII German 8 mm Mauser. I know less than nothing about them. Will someone give me some general tips on what to look for and what to avoid? Is there a good book available for me to educated myself.

Art
08-30-2011, 09:32
OK, since nobody else has answered.....

First I am not a "Mauser guy" but I do know it comes down to whether you want a shooter or a collectable. Original all matching rifles in any condition are going to be very pricey and depending on the manufacturer as shown in the "Waffenampt" marks the price can go up or down but you need to know those codes to tell if you're being "jobbed." If you want a shooter they'll be a lot cheaper, a mixmaster with defaced Nazi markings for instance can be had for a much more reasonable price. Everynow and again you'll find a Yugoslavian WWII capture German Kar 98K that was refurbished by they Yugoslavs and put back into use; these can be quite attractive rifles and do have some history. Several years ago the Russians released most of their stock of rifles captured by them in WWII, these had been bebuilt and put in storage and every once in a while you'll find one of them at a good price.

Whether you want a pure collectable or a mixmaster shooter I would avoid Mitchell's Mausers. Their rifles are pretty, they are also rebuilt refinished rifles which I understand have force matched parts sometimes, so unless cosmetics are really important to you in a shooter and you're willing to pay a big premium for pretty I don't think they're a good choice.

dave
08-30-2011, 10:50
I am a Mauser guy, been collecting them since the 60's. Not just German however but have more then a few of them. What Art says is pretty much on. I do not buy rebuilds of any kind so they have been priced out of my budget. A matched, non-import marked K98k will run you from 800 to 2000 bucks, in VG to excellent condition, less for less condition and less desireable makers/years. Lots of info on internet for codes, dates (codes changed over the years) and such things as parts also. Backbone of the Wehrmacht by Law is the 'go to' book, expensive and probably out of print. Many were brought home by GI's but unless so called Capture Papers go with it, its impossible to tell. Some clues; A stock cut, usually under rear band, to shorten for shipping. A bolt which is not matched to rifle but matchs itself, on an otherwise matched rifle. NO import stamps. Basiclly collectables!
Russian captures have gone up in price but can still be had from 3-400. Quailty varies widly from not bad to down right ugly! Best to do gun shows so you can find one that appeals to you. These were taken completely apart and no attention was paid to serial numbers or time periods of parts when reassembled. Stock had a ugly red shellac slopped on. This can be stripped of course. German markings are usually intact on these. Basically shooter.
Yugo and Czech rebuilds are nicer lookers but are getting hard to find. About same, price wise as RC's. These can be collectable, for instance many sold and marked for Arab coutries. They can be just shooters, poor candition and no known providence. May or may not be scrubbed of German markings. Many of the Czech's were new made using parts left from German production.
And YES stay away from Mitchell's, if for no other reason then they lie in their ads and few people will ever want one if you decide to sell. They force match main components with electric pencil, or did at one time, may stamp them now.
Sounds like you only want one? So basic question is, do you want a shooter or a collectable? And of course the fattness of the 'ol wallet!

tmark
08-30-2011, 08:16
Thanks, Dave and Art for the wise advise and education.

tmark
08-30-2011, 08:18
Sounds like you only want one? So basic question is, do you want a shooter or a collectable? And of course the fattness of the 'ol wallet![/QUOTE]

I want a collectable that is capable of being a shooter, more so a collectible.