PDA

View Full Version : NRA Lifetime Master Classification

Skydog
08-13-2011, 03:37
My mom was going through some of my late fathers papers and gave me an NRA certificate stating he had reached the level of "Lifetime Master, High Power Rifle Competition." It says it was presented to him at the NRA HQ on March 13th 1961, F.C. Danial was the Secratary. I is this is a big deal? Your thoughts......

C5M1
08-14-2011, 05:51
Interested in knowing this myself. Thought only high master was for life. Things could have changed since 61.

regards, dennis

John Kepler
08-14-2011, 09:45
It was "Lifetime High Master", and the designation was eliminated in the early 70's IIRC.

Griff Murphey
08-18-2011, 04:47
Correct me if I am wrong, but back then, I am fairly certain any master class shooter could ask to be made lifetime master. I know my brother took it. He is a 5v lifetime master.... A different game! I do not think high master came in until the 80's.

Bob S
08-20-2011, 09:24
They had not yet invented the High Master classification in the early 70's. I made Master in 1973, and at that time you could request the Lifetime Master designation. I didn't, and so I lost the classification after more than 5 years at sea and not able to compete (Master was good for 5 years, all others was good for 3). By the time I re-earned it in 1986, the "Lifetime Master" designation had been discontinued, and they had invented "High Master" classification.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

Cosine26
08-21-2011, 02:55
I still have my original card and it is marked:
HIGHPOWER,RIFLE
LIFE MASTER
FDB9724B (This is my Life Member number at the time)
Effectivef Date 07/29/63
At the time (per the 1962 Rule Book) a competitor could apply for Lifetime Master. "The election provided for, once made, is irrevocable".
As I remember it a few years ago, when all of the new classdifications came out, a member could elect to have his Life Time Master cancelled. I was sent a card reclsssifying me to which I objected and was re issued a new Lifetime Master card.
The 1999 Rule book states:
19.21 Lifetime Master - competitors who have been certified as Lifetime Masters will retain their Lifetime Master cards and enter in the Master Class.Part iof the rule indicates:
"No new Lifetime Masters will be certified"
The rule also provides:
"Lifetime Masters may petitiion the NRA to revoke the Lifetime Master and be reclassified downwqard according to the provision of rule 19.17(c).
Per the latest edition of the High Power Rule Book from the NRA web site 08/21/2011:
Rule 19.9
"Liftime Master classification will not become obsolete"