PDA

View Full Version : WWI Mauser rear sight quesion..............................

Brad
08-08-2011, 11:40
Hello All,
What a great web site for getting hard to find information.
I have a WWI German Mauser, DUETSCHEWAFFEN-UND MUNITIONSFABRIKEN BERLIN 1917
It has the later lower rear sight. I am told these were changed between the wars, and that theseriffles were used by the SA &SS, and in WWII ?
Anyway, what I really want is a rifle representing a WWI rifle.
I have an old barrel with the high ramp rear site on it.
My question is would it be better to leave this rifle as is, or change the site?
Would it hurt either's value? I dont think it is real valuable either way??
One thing to consider is that this rifles stock appears to have been "Duffle Cut" as was common on WWII bring backs.
Perhaps I should change the site and aquire another un-cut stock?
Thanks all in advance.
Brad Foust

mike webb
08-09-2011, 11:36
If you indeed have an SS converted 98, don't modify it in any way. They are collectible in themselves and some guys will part with substantial cash to get one. There are a lot of fake SS rifles out there, that should be an indication of their value. If genuine, you could sell it and buy a REALLY NICE WW1 rifle with the proceeds. Check out the Gunboards k98 forum or the K98K FORUM itself, there are some really knowledgeable guys on there especially if you can post pictures.

Brad
08-10-2011, 01:56
Sir,
It is not marked as an SS in any way.
I was just told they were used by the SS?
Thanks for your reply.
Brad

dave
08-10-2011, 03:13
Most of these rifle were converted during mid-30's. Look at rear sight for a stamped inscription and post what you see. During this time the Army/Navy were just starting, barely, to get the new K98k's and they were not plentiful. Hitler was trying to hold the SS back from becoming too powerful (the SA he later about got rid of) so both were on the bottom of the list to get the new rifles. The SS had many of the older WW1 rifle converted to your modified type and also cut many down to K98k size. The regular Army or supply system probably did the same for rear units till production of K98k's caught up. By 1939/40 the SS were still using many of these converted rifles (pictures exist of SS units in Russia using them). No evidence exisits that all were converted by the SS or that they were not used by regular Army units, none were marked that I have heard of.
I would agree with the above, do not change barrel of stock on that rifle! A WW1 rifle with the original sight will show up sooner or later! The value will certainly drop from the 300-500 it may be worth now!

Brad
08-11-2011, 07:11
Thanks ya'll!
Great advice.
There is a letter "S" just behind the rear site?

mike webb
08-16-2011, 08:54
Maybe SIMSON & CO., SUHL

dave
08-16-2011, 10:00
The letter S means it is chambered and bored for the new catridge (spitzer bullet .323 instead of older .318 round nose).
On the rear site sleeve, right side, there may be a S/42K or S/42G?

Brad
08-17-2011, 11:57
Hello all, thanks so much for the help.
On the right side of the rear sight base is stamped "S/42G" then there are a couple small boxes in which are some stampings I just cant make out.
The rear sight base has the same serial number as the rifle, 4320.
The rear sight leaf has a number 8376, which of course does not match.
How can the base match? It's not the origina as it? Did they stamp them to match when changed?
Thanks

Calif Steve
08-23-2011, 07:48
The sight and its base should match. A German Arsenal (Mauser Oberndorf in 1935) did the conversion and they used lead solder to install the new base. They do not come off and you should leave it alone.