PDA

View Full Version : My 1st Mauser

older than dirt
07-27-2011, 08:46
Just received my Turkish model 03/38 8mm today. What `s the round metal thing in the stock behind the wrist for & how do you get it out? Thanks in advance.

leftyo
07-27-2011, 11:03
i dont keep up on the trukish models, but since most of them are just messed up german rifles, i am going to say what your asking about is the stock takedown disk, used for removing the firing pin from the rest of the bolt assembly. best answer is you dont remove it.

Liam
07-28-2011, 05:39
Should not be removed. There by design. See Figure 12:
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/mauserboltdisassembly/index.asp

dave
07-28-2011, 06:23
They washer like part is pressed in by the tube. I have heard people say they can be removed and replaced but I can't see how and still look decent. No reason to remove it.

randy langford
07-28-2011, 06:30
That is used to take apart the bolt. It can be removed if you are doing a sporter then you could do some sort of wood inlay to cover the hole

kcw
07-28-2011, 06:45
The bolt takedown disc is a two piece treaded assembly, the "open" end of which has been peened/pressed over so as to lock the assembly together more or less permenately. (I got to play with an apparently new and "unlocked" assembly on a Russian "capture" 98K). One piece goes in from one side, the other piece from the opposite side. One piece has male threads, the other the female.
I guess that removal would required that the peened/pressed over end be ground off, and then the assembly unscrewed.
I have several Turk M38's, one of which came with a brand new barrel (still had blueing on the interior) I'm amazed as to how well they shoot. On a good day I can pick off silver dollar sized pieces of broken clay birds, one after the other, on the 200yd berm @ the gun club. I just have to remember how to adjust the elevation for the make of ammo being used (ie Turk, Bulgarian, ect, ect)