PDA

View Full Version : one of those could it be reals....

bigbore
07-20-2011, 01:21
I have an M1 that was purchased by a dealer/friend in the late 80s along with several other M1s. This one came with the holes for the M1C base. No base, just the holes. The attached barrel was a 1-54 SA stamped Blue Sky.

My friend swore up and down until the day he died it was a real USMC 1952. I still have it from his estate because, no one wanted to buy a receiver drilled for a C mount, that was outside the C SN range.

The SN is 1.5mil. If you follow the blocks of M1s that went to the USMC, based on the Guam Garands, its in the correct range.

The USMC did publish a manual on drilling receivers for the G&H bracket.

I keep reading the MC 1952 appeared too late to fight in Korea, so the barrel date is in the right range.

Its not worth jack without any documentation, but I just cant bring myself to get rid of it...

Oh well, just something to ponder.

cplnorton
07-24-2011, 07:25
I can't comment on the m1c part, but I too believe that 1.5 million springfields went to the marines. I have a 1.55 springfield with the 0-65 USMC rebuild mark on the heel. Again more proof that serial number range went to the marines.

Good luck with your search.

bigbore
07-24-2011, 07:35
I dont think there is anything to search. I have the full MC1 rig currently on a documented "C", but was thinking of moving the parts to this receiver. "Correct" or not, considering the scopes and mounts are selling for as much/more as the rifle, I may built this receiver into a MC 1952.