PDA

View Full Version : GEW value?

bampa
07-19-2011, 08:21
I have a chance to purchase a 1915 Danzig GEW that is definitely a bringback. It has no import marks, and I have the name and some papers of the soldier who brought it back. It has a duffle cut under the band and, except for an unnumbered cleaning rod and a mismatched bolt, it is all matching down to each screw head. The stock and handguard match, too.

The metal and bore are good to very good in condition, as is the stock except for a half-inch by quarter-inch chip missing near the duffle cut. However, it does have a couple of negatives. The receiver looks like it was in a vise or something -- it has some straight-line marks across it. Also, the rear sight won't slide all the way up -- it goes about two-thirds of the way and gets stuck because some of the indentations that the slide follows are flattened -- looks like they were clamped.

Anyway, it seems GEW prices keep going up, and I am seeking advice on what a fair price would be for this rifle. Thanks in advance for any replies....

dave
07-20-2011, 10:47
You mention nothing about overall condition, blue, bright parts, bolt match itself, etc. If not a rust bucket and with the papers you mention I would say 500 min. but would have to see it, could be less or more! Now that is my opinion, what I might pay. I am not a professional appraiser, if such a thing really exsists!

leftyo
07-20-2011, 12:36
"looks like the reciever has been in a vise", is enough for me to instantly mark it down to parts gun/project prices, $250-300.

dave
07-20-2011, 02:34
They are getting really scarce to be so critical. As I said I would have to see it but perhaps you have many prime examples in your collection!

bampa
07-20-2011, 05:28
You mention nothing about overall condition, blue, bright parts, bolt match itself, etc. If not a rust bucket and with the papers you mention I would say 500 min. but would have to see it, could be less or more! Now that is my opinion, what I might pay. I am not a professional appraiser, if such a thing really exsists!

It's not a rust bucket. It just looks as though it has been sitting in a closet for a few decades. The blue on exposed areas has turned to a brown patina. The bolt does not match itself; it all matches except for the body. However, all bolt parts are Imperial. The bore is actually pretty good overall -- a bit dark but with good rifling and no pitting. The vice-like marks on the receiver are not across the entire receiver; they are just at the area where the barrel and receiver meet. Each is about a quarter to half inch long, and there are probably eight or ten of them spaced around the receiver. I really wonder why it would have been in a vice or something -- it's not as if the barrel has been changed or anything, considering all the parts are matched....

leftyo
07-20-2011, 09:55
They are getting really scarce to be so critical. As I said I would have to see it but perhaps you have many prime examples in your collection!

not that i have so many in my collection, but more like i wont pay for something that no longer has collector value due to damage. i agree you need to see it to really value it, but mismatched bolt hurts value, and the big chip out hurts value, and vise marks on the reciever ring destroys the value, and the buggered up rear sight sure doesnt help the value. as with anything on the internet, its just an opinion. the old adage may apply, one mans junk is anothers treasure.