PDA

View Full Version : Gibbs 1903-a4 Quality

Richard H Brown Jr
07-05-2011, 11:04
Dear Right Wing Types

Was in a local RI gun store today, saw that they had a 1903-a4 clone by Gibbs on display, and had a look. Not really impressed with the quality control.

Upper fore stock, Rough with open pores. It was sanded down but the wood selection was so poor it had so many below surface openings, it would have been better just to buy NOS, from a Parts supplier instead of using whatever wood, iirc the Philippine stock supplier used.

Receiver: obviously rebuilt from a drill rifle, you could see under a fairly good re-park job, a below surface mark, from where the spot weld was ground off, I mean they could have rewelded and ground it down a little better.

Markings: Up on the front of the Receiver on the left hand side below the scope mount, Remington 1903a3 stamped parallel to the horizontal axis of the rifle. On the right hand side up by the front scope mount, serial no was stamped 2x on the receiver.

Bolt action: Seemed really really rough, like they reparked the receiver and just put a barrel on and finished boring the chamber, really rough unlock, pullback, chamber and locking action.

Nothing a few thousand bolt cycles couldn't cure.

Parkerization: seemed to be really cleanly done on the exposed barrel part and the mount and receiver. Can't remember off hand if they did the bolt too. (Except for the ding where the spot weld was ground out, on the receiver).

Overall, I'd say for $995 or whatever going rate, a bit too much, as a purist would can the stock and go for NOS from a parts supplier.

Note: I didn't mention the optics, because I have no experience with a scoped rifle, and absolutely no experience with what an *original* scope for the a4 to compare.

Cross hair type, and probably a little thick for 200yrd + shooting. I tried to get a proper cheek weld, but the cross hairs were below middle of the optical field when my cheek was tight on the stock. Maybe for some people a leather sock to raise your cheek up would work.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/968412579/Guns/Rifles/Gibbs-Rifles/GIBBS_03A4_SNIPER_3006_W_SCOPE_NIB.htm

Store listing on guns america $929.99 + $30 shipping 3 days examination time. No pix on listing.

RHB

jgaynor
07-08-2011, 12:41
Reports on these have been mixed. Generally the final assembly has been sloppy - loose screws etc.. Some owners have reported decent results after tightening things up. What sahpe will the scope be in after 500, 1000 or 2000 rounds is anybody's guess. Probably the best solution would be to keep the reproduction scope for decoration and mount decent 1" scope for shooting.

i have no access to Gibbs cost information but from what i know of the business if they are retailing the rifle for $995. They probably don't have more than a few hundred dollars in them out the factory door. Then the wholesaler and retailers get their cuts.

Regards,
Jim

Hal O'Peridol
07-08-2011, 09:09
I'm building my own. Using a drill reciever, new 1944 barrel, "A4" style bolt, and a Dupage C stock. Using a post and crosshair Lyman I found at a small out of the way gun show for 24 dollars. Got the rifle for 150, barrel for 75, stock was 75, rebarrel/headspace/attach Redfield mount/Lyman rings 125 dollars. So I have 450 dollars in it so far. Just nervous about milling out the clearance for the bolt handle.

Dave in NGA
07-09-2011, 07:51
I too have made a couple of these rifles starting with drill rifles. New barrels and bolts and Redfield Jr mounts. But I have used modern scopes. One wears a weaver K10 and the other a 6-18 variable. One is on an A3 action and the other is an O3. Stocks are both military scants that I got from CMP. I glass bedded the actions. Milled out the bolt clearance just like an A4 stock. Both shoot as good as any other sporter made on a Springfield barreled action. One item I deviated on was to apply a ceramic paint (mat black) finish to the metal. It looks good and is easier to do than to find someone to Parkerize everything.

joem
07-11-2011, 03:59
A fellow shooter has one and after ther first five rounds the optics let loose. He sais he was going to take it back to the dealer that sold it to him.

Bigbuckeye
10-12-2011, 06:36
I have a Gibbs 03-A4 and could not be happier with it. Fit and finish is excellent and after 150 rounds, the scope has held zero..

Highly recomended...

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f398/mgriffin76/IMG_1077.jpg

Marine A5 Sniper Rifle
10-12-2011, 07:10
You are lucky.

jt

1903shooter
10-17-2011, 05:39
This is the way I feel about them. Ten years ago a 1903 A4 could be had for around $1500 to as much as $2500. Prices are now About $2500 to as much as $4500 or slightly more. Gibbs Fake A4 sells for $995, in ten years I'd bet they sell for no more then $995 or possibly much-much less. A real A4 is an investment, a Gibb's A4 is a consumer purchase kinda like buying a new flat screen TV. You might enjoy it, but you'll never get your money back out of it.

Bigbuckeye
10-18-2011, 05:02
1) I don't think I have seen a real A4 for less than $4K
2) I am never going to invest that kind of $$ in a firearm
3) Even if I did, I would be too afraid to shoot it
4) if I ever decide to sell, I would be happy to get what I have in it
5) this is my shooter, a faithful replica is perfect for my needs
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f398/mgriffin76/IMG_1082.jpg

Marine A5 Sniper Rifle
10-19-2011, 04:04
I paid $1500 for my early A4 in a C stock last year, without scope or rings, and it is pristine. Keep looking.

jt

holdover
10-21-2011, 09:22
Am I correct that you can not shoot a reconverted drill rifle at camp perry? If that is so the gibbs rifle could not be considered for this type of shooting. I thought I read that in the rules awhile back, correct me if i am wrong. As I remember all rifles have to be inspected and tagged at the match.

collectorm1ca
10-23-2011, 08:26
Recovered drill rifles/Gibbs rifles are legal to shoot at Camp Perry.

P. Greaney
10-24-2011, 11:35
Weapons used at Camp Perry in competition are subject to a Limited Technical Inspection. Referred to by the acronym LTI. Inspections can be accomplished at one of the Service team vans or the CMP van all located on the road just behind the ranges. They are inspected for safety and trigger pull weight and if they pass the LTI, a piece of tape of a particular color is wrapped around the grigger guard.
The LTI is required to be done before the match.
On the line anyone can see at a glance if a particular weapon has passed its LTI by virtue of the presence of the appropriately colored tape on the trigger guard. After the match the weapons of certain competitors and sometimes a random sampling are subjected to a closer inspection to ensure that unauthorized modifications or parts have not been used or installed on those weapons.
I believe the prohibition on 1903 rifles is limited only to low number 1903 which are considered unsafe to fire due to an issue with the heat treatment of the receivers

chuckindenver
10-24-2011, 07:15
iv been putting together Replica A4,s just for the Sniper matches, i use scant grip stocks, and all GI parts, NON drill rifle actions, still lots of sporterized A3,s to be had for a couple hundred bucks,
i use new GI barrels, i make the bolts, i match face the barrel and reciever, use Weaver 2.5 power scopes, Redfield, Burris or Leupold bases, and vintage Redfield or Lyman rings,
i target all the ones iv built, and after break in, they shoot pretty darn well.
my rifles cost more then the Gibbs, but are built to shoot well, and that they do.
i like the concept of the replica snipers for shooting, or the guy that doesnt want to take a chance and ding up a real sniper rifle.
the only issues with the Gibbs rifles, soft metal screws and bases, cheesy scope, and that they dont inform the buying shooting public about them being recovered drill rifles, chances are that they may ban receovered drill rifles from the matches, hope not...but if one has a failure for any reason,,,you can count on it.

mike24d20
10-27-2011, 01:27
Chuckindenver, What are you prices for just a regular shooter? An what would payment options be if my va monies allow such a buy? mike in n.mex.

chuckindenver
10-28-2011, 07:07
i have one on GB right now. you can contact me outside the forum if you like.. search Sniper replica and youll find it.

Bigbuckeye
10-29-2011, 06:02
That's a beautiful rifle....I have no complaints with this Gibbs, but I would not have hesitated to spend the extra $500 on your rifle..