PDA

View Full Version : Interesting M1 Bayonet & Scabbard

amber
07-04-2011, 07:14
111741117411174Recently I came accross a M1 Bayonet that was not completely finished at one of the factories that produced the 10" M1 bayonet in WW 2. My best guess is that it was made from parts left over after the factory contract was completed and then sold to the civilian market. Note that some the machining of the metal under the grips has not been completed. I can find no marks whatsoever on the bayonet or crossguard. The grips are brown and each is marked with a "C" that has PP inside of it. This bayonet was apparently parkerized at one time. The finish has been mostly removed from all areas that are exposed when the grips are installed. The blade is 9 13/16" long.

The leather scabbard is very high quality and still very nice. Note the 12 metal staples in the stitching. Again, there are no marks on this scabbard. This set has all indications of being made in the mid 1940's.

I am aware that many knife manufacturers used their left over parts to make items for the civilian market. Has anyone seen one like this before? I have tried to add pictures of the knife, but I think I screwed up big time. Me & techonology do not see eye to eye.

BOB LOUGHLIN
07-05-2011, 08:36
Amber, I've been collecting for over 35 years, and I've never seen anything like these. I have 2 books on U.S. Military Knives and Bayonets, one being M.H.Cole III. I think you are right in thinking one of the 5 companies that were contracted to make the 10 inch had surplus, when they were told to end their contract went ahead and assembeled what they had left in hope of selling to the public. The brown grips are even more to rack my brain. I can't find the notes I've kept on these. I think only one company used the brown ones.? Maybe Oneida Ltd, or Wilde Tool & Drop Forge..? ? I will now be on the hunt for one of these. Thanks for Shareing. Bob.

Bayonetman
07-05-2011, 03:35
If you will show a photo of the other side of the grip area, I can probably tell you who made it.