PDA

View Full Version : 1903 Sniper Rifle

Carbine64
07-01-2011, 09:09
My son is very interested in the 1903A1 and the 1903A4. What scopes are appropriate for either of these rifles? What is the average cost of the rifle? Are they still out there? Any help would be appreciated!

Art
07-01-2011, 10:24
My son is very interested in the 1903A1 and the 1903A4. What scopes are appropriate for either of these rifles? What is the average cost of the rifle? Are they still out there? Any help would be appreciated!

An M1903 A1 is just a Model 1903 with a pistol grip stock. These rifles do sell for a premium. M1903A3s, the simplified for manufacture version is readily available in good shooting condition.

Modifying one of these rifles to take a telescopic sight will damage the weapons resale value even if you use the correct telescopic sights. The correct sight for an M1903A1 Marine sniper rifle would be a Unertle 7.8x target telescopic sight. There are a couple of sights the military used for the sniper version of the M109A3 which was the M1903A4. One of the most common was the M73B1 which was a military version of the Weaver 330C. All of the telescopic sights used on these rifles are outdated now though they are servicible.

If you want to scope one of these rifles with a modern sight I would recommend a servicible but minimally collectable rifle (these are often called "mixmasters" because they have been rebuilt using a variety of parts from different manufacturers) preferably one that has some sort of modification such as having already been drilled and tapped for a telescopic or reciever sight and just mount a good 'scope on it.

Shootable M1903s (mechanically sound with barrels that have some life left in them) run in price around where I live from about $500.00 to over $1,000.00 depending on condition, parts makeup etc. As I said, a pistol grip "C" stock adds a premium and sometimes that can be considerable. Shootable M1903A3s also start at about $500.00 where I live but top out at a few hundred less than M1903s. Location does matter on this.

Hope this helps and others will chime in.

Richard H Brown Jr
07-01-2011, 11:13
Dear Carbine64

Real 1903-a4's are out of everyone's price range, however, a *close* reproduction from rebuilt drill rifles by Gibbs Rifles:

http://www.gibbsrifle.com/1903-a4_sniper_rifle_.html

Original 1903-a1 http://oldguns.net/cat_fa_old_us_long.htm#MilitaryLongarms see SMOF5268 - U.S. MODEL 1903A1 SPRINGFIELD $2200usd.

RHB

Sunray
07-02-2011, 08:17
Hi. 1903A4's run 3 grand and up, depending on the condition. They used Weaver 330C's and Lyman Alaskans with Redfield bridge mounts. Like Art says, the original scopes are antiquated when compared to a modern scope. 7/8" tube for one. They can run over a grand alone.
Bought mine, sans original scope, from the shop I worked in, then for $175Cdn. Put a 2.5 to 8 Scopechief on (Bushnell's were higher end in those days) and worked up a load with IMR4064 and 168 grain Hornady match bullets. Kind of startled me when it shot into one hole at 100.
The Gibbs fake is built on a standard 1903A3 receiver that's clearly marked so it can be distinguished from a real '03A4. I'm not convinced they're worth $1,000, but it's likely the only way your son can have one without selling a kidney. Or one of your's. snicker.
There are a lot of other fakes out there too. Biggest and easiest indication of a fake is where the S/N is. Should be off-set to be seen with the mount on the rifle. S/N's have a range too and the rifles were only made by Remington.

Carbine64
07-02-2011, 10:58
Thanks everyone. My husband was lucky enough to find an M1D in fantastic condition. That made our son want a gun of his own. Since he loves bolt action rifles, this seemed to be a good fit. The gentleman we got the M1D from talked about it with him. Even though he can use his dad's gun, he wants one he can say is his.

pmclaine
07-03-2011, 03:20
I've heard rumors that Leatherwood-Malcolm will be making replicas of the Unertl 8X. If that happens building a repro M1941 sniper as used by the USMC will be come less of what is now a daunting task.

I salute your son for choosing to want a rifle carried by some of the finest shooters to walk the earth. Most younger people want black plastic and gizmos instead of walnut and steel.

Real men like recoil.