PDA

View Full Version : Which German Mauser ???

leecork
06-14-2011, 06:09
I would like to find a very good German Mauser to buy, but I don't know much about them. I own five Swedish Mausers in various models, but not one German. I know that there is a lot of junk out there that I should avoid. But, what specifically would be some good models to consider. Since, I plan to shoot it, I would want an excellent bore. Things like matching numbers, original parts, good wood and metal conditions, etc. are also desirable. Hopefully the price/value should be $ 1,000.00 or less. Maybe someone could give me a few suggestions or information. Thank you.

JimF
06-14-2011, 09:37
For my money, I would look for a 1940 or earlier one. Much better quality. --Jim

oney
06-14-2011, 02:30
If you are a Swede fan, Mauser Oberndorf made M96 rifles for Sweden under contract until the Swedes started producing them. They will be early dated ie.. 1900 or there abouts. They also usually bring a premium over the same rifle made by Carl Gustav.

As far as German manufactured/used rifles, you can chase after a nice Gewehr 1898 (WWI version) or a nice Karbiner 98k (1933 -1945 version). I personally like the 98k. You will want to study up on manufacturing codes in order to know who made a particular gun. Except for the real early dates (1934 - K date & 1935 - G date) you will find the year of manufacture on the receiver along with the manufacturers code. I prefer K98's made by Gustloff Werke myself, which will be marked "337" for rifles made in '39 or '40, and bcd for rifles made from '41 through '45.

Your things to look for in your question are all important. If you are looking for just one... steer clear of the Russian Captured rifles and look for a correct rifle. When you find the right rifle... it will speak to you!

Good luck and good hunting!

dave
06-14-2011, 03:05
A matched original German K98k, in VG to Exc. cond., non import marked and/or GI bring back will run you 1000 + depending on maker, year, etc. As you are looking to shoot the rifle I would not buy one of those, just me and my opinion. They are primarily collectors and many have poor bores. For a shooter I would get an RC and refinish wood, clean it up and shoot it without worry of damage, wear, etc.! Same goes for any Imperial period rifle, if original. They are getting hard to find and more valuable every day! Now I am talking allot of shooting, not a few rounds now and then.

Art
06-15-2011, 11:14
If all you want is a representative German Mauser and don't want to spend a fortune, a Yugo refurbished K98k can still be found sometimes at a decent price. These rifles are weapons the Yugos converted to their own user after WWII and are often straight from rebuild and in quite nice shape. They will be "mixmasters" but they have an interesting history all their own.

leecork
06-16-2011, 06:46
Thanks, guys for your knowledge and suggestions. I found it very helpful, and was able to use the info to do some Internet searches. I am learning a lot. I have decided to go with an early 98K Karbiner. So I will start searching for a good one. By the way, one of my Swedes was made by Obendorf in 1899. It is still a nice gun, and I shoot it often.

dave
06-16-2011, 11:23
Lots of luck on finding an early K98k, they do not come up for sale often. Gun shows are your best bet, or auctions, altho auctions can get pretty nutty with the bidding! By the way the name is Karbiner 98 kutz (short). There was a Karbiner 98 B which proceeded it but it had a 29" barrel. Unlike the US the term, carbine had lil or nothing to do with barrel length in Germany and other European counties but rather useage. In the US a K98k would be considered a 'short rifle' or just a rifle.

Mr Hanky
06-23-2011, 10:06
Rcarms has a '36 K98 i cant remember if its matching or not, may be a place to start.

robertmcm
06-27-2011, 11:33
Check out the bolt mismatches. They can be had within 150 or so of the RC prices these days. RCs are great for shooing though. Enjoyable to load for ect.

dave
06-28-2011, 06:53
A m/m bolt that matches itself on a otherwise matching rifle, with no import stamps is 90% sure of being a GI bring back. These have more value, I believe.