PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Sniper Scope

CaptMac
06-13-2011, 08:56
Have a friend a retired Gunny that was on Iwo Jima in 1992 he was part of a group of Marines, and DoD civilians going into caves and documenting and cataloging remains. He has a rifle scope from one of the caves (pic's attached). The optics is pretty clear, so is the reticle markers. He would like some idea what to ask for it, if he sells it, or how much to ask to be listed on a receipt (for taxes) if he donates it to the Marine Corps Museum.

He has pictures of him on the island but none of him holding the scope on the island.

pmclaine
06-13-2011, 10:30
Thats in amazing shape after sitting in a sulfur gas cave for all these years. Couldnt guess at its value. Thanks for posting.

CaptMac
06-13-2011, 12:28
I am sure he has cleaned it up somewhat but he didn't paint it or anything, in the crevices there appears to be mineral material. He said that there was part of a rubber eyecup on it when he found it but after handling it and brushing it up, the eyecup just disintegrated. If anyone local to northern VA I can arrange for you to examine it.

dave
06-13-2011, 12:48
There are allot of Jap collectors who would pay good money for that, there are more sniper rifles around then scopes to go with them.

Art
06-13-2011, 01:34
Dave is right. I have seen a few rifles with the mounts for the 'scope but I've never seen a sight itself. There are Japanese rifle formus on other sites he might try them. I suspect even in todays depressed market for military collectables it would go for quite a pretty penny!!!

Michaelp
06-14-2011, 10:48
This one is missing a locking lever and of course eye cup.
It is for a T99.

In good shape these go for $1000 up without case.

They are not adjustable and are fitted to specific rifles.

Using them is chancy as the reticules are painted and recoil can cause this to flake or dust the inside of the tube.

Griff Murphey
06-16-2011, 04:55
Col. George in his book SHOTS FIRED IN ANGER talks about test-firing a T99 sniper rig, I think on the Canal, and thought it was pretty good, as I recall.

There is a retired gun show guy here in Fort Worth who had a supplier, a USAF helo pilot married to an oriental lady, and he used to get lots of "Cave" items particularly IV fluid bottles which looked like they were made yesterday. He gave me a miniature glass slab for making blood counts under a microscope. I am not sure what island they got those from but it was some pretty crazy stuff. No telling what might be there, even today.

My impression is that the Japanese really protect any of those sites today. When Clint Eastwood made FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS, he had to shoot it on a similar island in Iceland. But I understand they did let him shoot some of the companion film LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA, done from the Nipponese point of view, on Iwo. The gunny is really lucky to have that scope.

When I was on Okinawa in '74-'75 every so often Marine patrols up in the Northern Training Area would find a Nambu with stacked up mags all rusted up, where it was left in '45. And Bulldozers, about one a year in downtown Naha, would hit something big leftover from the big one.