PDA

View Full Version : Ufh 1942 w/uc mod?

DerKerl
05-21-2011, 07:52
I have this garand bayonet by UFH in 1942 cut down and marked on the other side UC-MOD. It is a Bowie point job. Is this marking unusual?

partestres
05-26-2011, 09:52
Not unusual. It just means Utica Cutlery did the cutdown modification, that's the stamp they used. I would call it somewhat uncommon though, as over the last 30 years I've collected well over 100 of the cutdown bayonets. UFH is the one I've most frequently encountered, followed by AFH - with PAL, OL and UC being much less common. UFH, AFH and OL stamped their mods with the initials of the company, UC and PAL added "-MOD". There are also some cutdowns out there with no marking to indicate which contractor did the work. HTH

vern21
05-28-2011, 09:37
How unusual is it to see a OL cutdown by OL? I'm sure one could figure the odds, but it makes me wonder if it was modified before it even made into service.

vern

partestres
05-28-2011, 02:10
I've encountered very few M1/M1905E1s originally made by anyone that were cutdown by OL. I have seen quite a few AFH cutdowns by AFH and UFH cutdowns by UFH and even one PAL cutdown by PAL. From info I've seen, Oneida Limited made approx. 235,000 M1905 16" bayonets (fewer than AFH, UFH and PAL) but more than Utica Cutlery and certainly Wilde Tool. So the rarity of an OL/OL cutdown would largely be a question of how many bayonets they modified and whether any OLs were in the inventory they were supplied for modification. I would think a WT/OL cutdown would be much rarer, and a SA 1922/OL cutdown rarer still, just based on the rarity of the original 16" bayonets.