PDA

View Full Version : FN Mauser ID ?

leecork
05-19-2011, 11:56
A friend of mine is looking to get a rifle ready for matches at Camp Perry this year. He would like to shoot one of his most accurate rifles, but it has been sporterized and is not acceptable, unless it is put back into military wood. We cannot identify the country for which it was made. I haven't seen the rifle yet, but he describes it as a FN manufactured in Herstal, Belguim. He says that it is marked as using the 30.06 cartridge, has a 1951 date and a large fancy "L" across the receiver ring. It according to him is a large ring mauser. Is anyone able to identify the country from this lousy description ? Does anyone know where he could possibly obtain a stock and handguard for the rifle ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dave
05-19-2011, 01:50
It is Belguim. The L is for Leopold, the King. It must have been rebarreled to 30-06, post WW11, Leopold was king in the 30's. Good luck on finding a stock, FN stocks come in several varities and are not common. This would be a M-30 with standard length action, and half length handguard, I think. I have been looking for one for couple years. If there is a round cut in reciever, on top, over the magazine, it may be is a M-24 with "intermediate" length action. The cut was for the longer '06 cart. but this may have been necessary also with the M-30 in 8m/m, not sure. Look at front TG screw, small lock screw in front of TG screw it is a m-30, behind TG screw it is a M-24. The cut out for the trigger guard will not be the same length!

leecork
05-19-2011, 03:17
Thanks for the help, Dave. I guess that my friend and I are going to have to sit down and do some critical thinking. Your information will provide us needed direction.

Anywho, I searched Numrich parts and found out that they offer stocks for these FN Mausers. I don't know yet exactly what we need yet, but when I finally ID the rifle model, I will give them a call.