PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion about a good 8 X 57mm commercial round

Griff Murphey
05-19-2011, 11:12
I was trying to get my G-43 shooting with commercial ammo as I have not set up my reloading gear after moving. I had not been satisfied with Remington, PMC, or S&B. Even my carefully hoarded WW2 production Canadian ammo was not doing as well as I remembered handloads doing 30 years ago. I tried some Wolf Gold 8X57 my son-in-law had given me and to my surprise that stuff SHOT, like 1 1/2" groups at 100 yds. Did some checking on the Internet and many shooters were singing its praises; this stuff is brass cased, boxer primed, made by Privi Partisan. One guy was getting 2" or better out of a M98 at 100 yds. So if you have an 8mm rifle you are trying to get better performance out of, this may be a good option for you. Now as to CMP vintage sniper, I have no idea what it will or won't do out at 600. I would think with that 196 gr. bullet you'd get some serious drop but on the other hand it might buck the wind pretty well. What I really want to do with my G-43 is shoot it in 3-gun, because I don't have an authentic scope for CMP, just a Bushnell 2-4.5. I think now it can do it with THIS ammo.

I think the twist rates on these German military guns are probably set up for the standard 196 gr. bullet. When the commercial ammo manufacturers try to make the 8mm shoot with lighter bullets in familiar .30 cal. weights I think accuracy suffers. Just a guess.