PDA

View Full Version : Eastern games sniper match results

pelago
05-19-2011, 08:51
Although i had ammo, i always felt that the Hornady issue ammo was and is superior to my reloads, past experience has always shown tighter groups with this ammo

a note before the results
had some timing problem with the team situation and time for sighters at 300, my quess was way off and first shot was a paper miss, just did not have time to actually shoot the sighters, first shot was a paper miss, 12 O-clock above last ring, guessed on down (lots of down needed and had 20 seconds to dial it in) not enough down shot a 8, then dialed correction in..
At the 600, i came up 12 MOA and fired first shot it was a 10/x dead center

M 8 10/X 10/X 10 10 10/X 10/X 10/X 10/X 82/6X

10/X 10/X 10/X 10/X 10/X 9 10 10/X 9 7 95/6X

Had some wind come up during the match and it did not get picked up by either partner nor myself, i think had some wind aided 9's

I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA HOW THE 7 GOT IN THERE, NEITHER DID THE SCOREKEEPER, HE FOLLOWED THE TRACE AND BEFORE TARGET CAME UP HE SAID IT WILL BE A 10/X AND IT WAS NOT UP LONG ENOUGH TO CHALLENGE AND THE GUY NEXT TO ME SCORED A MISS, SCOREKEEPER AND I BOTH THINK I GOT HIS 7, BUT WHAT YA GONNA DO, I KNEW THAT SINCE I HAD THE CALLED MISS AT THE 300 NO WHERE NEAR IN THE RUNNING

CONCLUSION
Rifle shoots well, i like the Hornady A Max and my plan is to use it for the Perry matches, really impressed with the performance and i think i am capable and the rilfe is capable of a 300/600 clean, that is my goal now, and i will use the next 4x600 match to shoot out of competition to practice some more, have less than 50 rounds down range at 600 and still do not know the rifle, trigger is good at 3 1/2 lbs (Ark wet stone only), scope is tuned to my eyeballs and
SO FAR SO GOOD
quite happy with all

PhillipM
05-19-2011, 09:10
Nice work and good reporting except you left out what kind of rifle you shot!

pelago
05-19-2011, 09:25
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w57/pelago177/1903A4replica002.jpg

sorry bout that
all vintage parts all original

c&r_guy
07-05-2011, 09:09
Good evening,

My son and I want to shoot in the Vintage Sniper Match at Perry this year. We shot in the first M1 Carbine Match when he was 11 and now he's 16 and on the Texas State Junior SR Team and it'll be fun to shoot with him again.

My questions are about the match itself. I'll be shooting with an M1D I purchased from the CMP back in 03 when I was a volunteer there.

I down loaded the rule book but there are some gaps.

1. Do the sighters frollow the same 20 second rule?
2. What are the rules on the use of support and shooting positons?
3. The line commands say, "load" not with a single round load, so can you use an end block clip?
4. If it's single round load, can the spotter load the round so the shooter doesn't have to break position?
5. Do they use the 300 & 600 yeard NRA targest or Silhouettes like Rattle Battle
6. Do they issue the Hornady ammo, if not what do you recommend?

Thank you for any info.

Dennis
GP, Texas

pelago
07-06-2011, 03:33
with the caveat that the rules are a on going changing proposition
1. sighters are not in the 20 second rule you will have prescribed time limit for both shooters to shoot probably will be no more than five, but both shooters have to do it at that time
2. support is provided with sand bags (sand bags of a sort anyway)
3, end block clip your own choice, when i shoot a m1, i do not break position and load single shots just using the follower
4. do not know, but kind of hard to spot and load at same time, spoter has to watch wind and other conditions, and beleive me 20 seconds aint a hell of a lot of time (would think practicing loading would be in order)
5. 300 yard and 600 yard targets used
6. ammo on you

shot my 03A4 a few days ago and found out that the redfield junior base windage adj screws worked loose, had to re establish no wind zero++++++, (wondered why last time i shot it it had some wandering issues on last two shots) re established no wind zero at 200 yards and lock tighted the little buggers, also added some lock tight to the two trigger guard screws rifle holds nice tight group at 200 yards, wish i had a place to practice 300. now have 550 rounds thru the rifle, the last 20 rounds prone at 200 put all 20 in the X ring on std 200 yard target shooting prone with sling, bet these A4's were deadly in Europe in WWII, especially in bombed out cities and hedgerow countryside

and still sold on the copycat hornady ammo 168gr hornady a max with 46.5 grains of varget

*** if you put one of these together put the windage on mechanical zero on scope (do it by numbers) then go to range and put a target up with a vertical stripe on it at 25 yards and work the redfield sight base adj screws for zero wind, keep adjusting to you get to 200 yards for final adj, then lock them in
then you will know what 200 yard no wind zero is, and i marke my scope with yellow paint (just tiny drop) on the windage adj knurled portion of the scope, quick reference eyeball and i see 200 yard zero

works for me anyway

c&r_guy
07-27-2011, 05:38
Thanks for all the info. I've rebuilt my M84 with parts from SARCO and I'm doing well so far. I'm already in Ohio visiting some friends and family and I'll be at Perry by the end of the week. I do have two more questions if you have a moment.

1. Does the CMP supply the "sand bags"?
2. Can you sling up and use the sand bags or is it one or the other?

I'm looking forward to seeing how we do at the Match this year and I'm planning on attending the CMP/Creedmore Central Games in OK next Spring.

Thanks again for all your help in getting my up and running.

pelago
07-27-2011, 06:26
you have two options
sling or sand bag not both
yes (at least you can call themsandbags) they provide the bags, at butner they were pretty strange, some had something like a corncob in them and some had sand???