PDA

View Full Version : RRA 2-stage thoughts/questions

Mr. X
05-11-2011, 08:23
I am interested in hearing people's thoughts on the RRA 2-stage NM trigger. I just got one -- haven't fired it yet -- but found that it comes with oversize .156 pins. My lower is rather tight and I'll be damned if I'm going to beat oversize hardened steel pins into an aluminum alloy receiver like some kind of barnyard jury-rigging job.

I installed it with the stock .154 pins and it seems OK ... anybody running their RRAs this way? What is the reliability/longevity of this trigger? I appreciate your thoughts.

DMark
05-12-2011, 07:52
I am interested in hearing people's thoughts on the RRA 2-stage NM trigger.......
I've been running the RRA 2-Stage NM trigger in my 3Gun AR with a CMMG lower for the past two years. While a 2-Stage isn't the norm in 3Gun, I find myself going back to my Service Rifle roots whenever the target is 100 yards and beyond and the 2-Stage works for me when taking long shots. It won't rival a custom 2-Stage like the Frank White ones in my service rifles, but IMHO the RRA is one of the best out of the box 2-Stage for the money. I think it will serve you well.

Not sure about your .156 vs .154 pin issue. When I built my lower the pins went in with the normal amount of effort. If your AR seems happy with those smaller pins after a couple of hundred rounds, I'd say you are Good-To-Go! Just make sure that they aren't working their way out.

BTW - - - Off topic, but it always gives me a smile when 3Gun shooters get all worried about a stage that has steel targets at 200-300 yards. :icon_wink:

Jim in Salt Lake
05-12-2011, 09:16
I've had one in a RR National Match AR for eight years, no problems. There are better triggers out there but they cost much more. I bought another RR NM trigger at a gun show last year for $80 new in the bag. You get a lot of bang for the buck with these.

Mr. X
05-12-2011, 06:39
Tried it out today. Very nice. First practice string in offhand was a 97. Can't complain about that. We'll see how she does in the match this Sat. So far seems well worth the $ and the .154 pins seem to be OK.

Danny
05-12-2011, 08:17
I refused to pound those pins into both of my lowers as well, with the thought of "if you don't need them now, you surely will after you pound them in once". Once you pound in a .156 pin, should you try to pound in a .158 pin the next time you install it, and so on? Mine have run fine the way you've set them up. Maybe they'd run better with the large pins, but I don't know. I haven't tried the larger pins and don't know what they work like, so if I'm missing anything, I won't know and it won't matter, unless a problem develops.

Danny

GA-Dave
05-16-2011, 10:24
I have RRA two-stage triggers in two different rifles and I think they're great. I haven't been shooting with competition with them though.

PhillipM
05-26-2011, 09:42
Just a guess, but looking up on my decimal equivalent chart I see .15625 is 5/32". I bet 5/32" pins are much easier to come by than .154".