PDA

View Full Version : Mauser K94? value

jarhead
10-18-2009, 06:45

762New to this so bear with. I have a Swedish Mauser I think is a Mod.94, the reciever has Interarms G33/50 on it. This rifle is in beautiful shape but its hard finding any that are for sale in order to get an idea of what to ask. Any help out there?

Alkali
10-19-2009, 12:23
You likely have a nice little 6.5x55 carbine. These were the first model to be obsolete from general use in the Swedish military, and were imported in quantity to the USA in the 1950's. Sears, Montgomery Ward, and others sold them for about $27 in 1958-59. Doesn't sound like a lot of money, but most teenagers (like me) were lucky to make $.75 an hour doing any kind of odd job. They now sell for $200+ sporterized, and approaching $1,000 if in excellent and matching original condition. If incomplete, parts to restore one are expensive and hard to find.

In your case, the best thing to do is peruse an on-line auction site like Gunbroker. Find some similar to yours and put it on a watch list to see how the bidding goes. The 1895 dated model made by Mauser Oberndorf without the 94/14 updates (bayonet bar added) seem to attract a lot of interest. The carbines marked G33/50 usually bring the least as this was a marking added by the importer for some reason, NOT a military designation. Be sure to add some photos if you decide to post additional inquiries. Regards.

jarhead
10-25-2009, 07:05
Alkali, I appreciate your input, finally figured out how to upload pics. I hate having to ask one of the kids how to do things on these but its the environment we are in.

Jim K.
10-30-2009, 12:21
The "G33/50" designation was a legal fiction. Prior to GCA 68, the minimum barrel length for a rifle was 18". But those little carbines were too short, so Interarms (the importer) welded an extension on to the barrel. But (the then) ATTD said that a Model 94 carbine was by definition a rifle with a 17 3/4" barrel, so Interarms gave them a new model designation (something they could do as a manufacturer) and chose "G33/50", a nonsense term.

When the law was changed in 1968, some of those "G33/50" carbines were still in stock but the extension was no longer needed. Also, some owners removed the extension.

Incidentally, the law was changed, not because of the Swedish carbines, but because the Army had sold, through the DCM, a whole lot of U.S. M1 carbines with barrels slightly shorter than 18". Since the government didn't want to admit it had goofed and violated its own law, and didn't want to require all those carbines to be registered as NFA firearms, they incorporated the change into the law that was making its way through Congress,

Jim

Alkali
10-30-2009, 03:46
Good photos! The complete stock assembly alone for the earlier models (without the bayonet bar assembly) are likely worth $250 in an auction. Of course, it would depend on who really needed it to complete their carbine. I'd hazard a guess on the value of your carbine as is of $450-500. I'd really recommend following a few auctions to get any better feel for what you think it's value is.
My compliments to the fellow above who outlined where those non-military G33/50 markings originated from. This sure wasn't the first time I've been clueless on some gun related oddity.

dave
11-01-2009, 07:19
there were many 94 carbines sold with the extension that were NOT marked G33/50. Those so marked came out of Interarms, only and were in the minority. The extensions were a press fit, the bore drilled out some and the extension pressed in. Many blew off when the carbines were fired, it happened to mine, sold by Wards.

locosmith
12-24-2009, 04:36
TEll us what on top of the action? Do all numbers match? If so No less than 900.00 I sold mine fro 850.00 when i sold my carbine collection, it was all amtching but had the welded piece. Yours looks to not be converted. Nice piece. They are very accurate. There is a lot of info on the net about them. Loco

Michaelp
12-30-2009, 08:16
Some may have been pressed in.

Both mine and all others I have seen are welded.

I recall a rack of these in the local Monkey Wards.

They were $29. A fortune.

Also they usually mismatched the bands and other metal parts when reassembling them.

MMs were a big deal back then when it counted.

I paid a good deal more later on.