PDA

View Full Version : Impressed with Mauser 96B

NuJudge
10-18-2009, 02:15
I shot a 200 yard reduced Service Rifle course of fire today, using a Swedish M96B Mauser. I shot a 93 offhand slowfire, 96 sitting rapid, 94 prone rapid on a reduced bullseye, then had a terrible time seeing the front sight for the prone slowfire on the reduced bullseye because of heat off the barrel, shooting a 167.

The rifle is a Oberndorf-made example, dated 1899, with an almost new barrel. For a 110 year old rifle, using SAMCO Swedish surplus, I thought it quite impressive. The point of impact seems to move down and right as the rifle heats up, particularly noticeable during the 20 shots prone, slowfire.

I shot a second 50-shot course of fire right afterwards with a Eddystone M1917 and Greek HXP, and shot better than 90%, so my problem seen the front sight in prone slow wasn't that my eyes or the rest of me was tiring.

Maybe I should try my minty Argentine at this also.

Has anyone else had trouble seeing the front sight on a Swede during slow fire prone?

sgtgeorge
11-01-2009, 04:10
It is a young man with 20/20 eyesight that can make use of those sights. The rest of us hope fpr the best.

Gunner
11-02-2009, 01:17
NuJudge, the wandrin POI is not almost a problem of the eyesight. A friend had this with the same rifle. Check the barrel if it gets contact with the forestock when it heats up. His forestock has on the left side less space than on the right of the barrel. When the rifle heats up the barrel had contact with the forestock on the right side. After making more space, the wandrin POI had a end.

Regards

Gunner