PDA

View Full Version : Johnson Automatic Rifle bayonet

Bill Wylde
04-25-2011, 03:13
I was just going through the belongings of a recently deceased friend and found a bayonet that I had never seen before. The trip was mainly to look over fair sized lot of electronic tubes, etc. To find this bayonet was somewhat of a surprise.

From doing a quick search it is apparent that this bayonet is an original item. Beyond that, it is in
nice overall condition, but is badly in need of cleaning.

Can someone give me a rough idea of the value of this piece. I can plant some photos on this forum, but would need to know what angles are important.

TIA,
Bill Wylde

Dan Shapiro
04-25-2011, 04:33
Bill, last one I saw for sale on Gunbroker went for $206 but it also had a sheath. The Johnson Automatic forum states the bayonet and sheath should run between $200-$300 depending on condition. Evidently the sheath is the hardest part to come by. HTH

Bill Wylde
04-25-2011, 07:38
Sorry, Dan..... I was in a hurry in starting this thread. This bayonet has a very nice sheath. Not a dark and oil soaked wonder, but it does have many decades of dust and dirt attached. Still wondering how this fellow came by this item. Could be something he picked up while working in the South Pacific on various radar sites.

Thanks,
Bill Wylde

partestres
04-26-2011, 11:32
I sold a pretty nice original with leather sheath on eBay about 2 months ago (condition VG+). It went for $355.00. I saw one sell several months back without sheath for $100. HTH

joem
04-27-2011, 11:15
There is a site for Johnson rifles that shows detailed pictures of the bayonet and sheath. There have been fakes on the market for years, not sayin your is fake.

Sunray
04-30-2011, 06:30
"...wondering how this fellow came by this..." Used to be all kinds of stuff in surplus shops.